Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Qr Code On Window


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rubdub

rubdub

    Stage One Kit Fitted

  • Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Location: Dublin

Posted Yesterday, 08:57 PM

 Just looking to get some thoughts on this..

So at a recent cars and coffee I noticed the mini getting a fair bit of attention from admirers.. and it made me think how it could be an opportunity to get more followers to the minis insta

 

I know some people have their insta handles printed on window decals, but I think I'd prefer something a bit more minimalist. So I was considering doing a QR code on a small window sticker and having it on one of the rear quarter windows.

 

Was thinking something quite small, like 2 x 2cm, on a clear sticker, with a white or black QR code, but mainly hoping to keep it fairly low key. What are peoples thoughts on QR codes? are they a bit cheesy, or is it ok? 


Edited by rubdub, Yesterday, 08:58 PM.


#2 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

    One Carb Or Two?

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • Location: London

Posted Yesterday, 09:06 PM

Probably a good way to attract yoof but, as yet, I have never used a QR code.

Nor do I have any pressing desire to do so, in the foreseeable future.


Edited by Quinlan minor, Today, 06:52 AM.


#3 timmy850

timmy850

    Up Into Fourth

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,609 posts
  • Location: NSW, Australia
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted Yesterday, 11:20 PM

I never understood why there’s:
Cyber security awareness about not clicking on dodgy restore links from emails
QR Codes where you scan them and have no idea what they’re linking too

I think if you wanted to get people to look at your instagram then you can get an instagram specific @link printed up

#4 68+86auto

68+86auto

    One Carb Or Two?

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Location: Brisbane, Australia

Posted Today, 03:17 AM

I like that a QR code would look much neater however I know I wouldn't scan it. One would have to sit there and open the correct app rather than just quickly remembering a name. Then there are the security concerns.



#5 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

    One Carb Or Two?

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Location: Warrington

Posted Today, 07:21 AM

I never scan QR codes in public, bars, museums, stations etc. maybe I'm too cautious but anyone can place a scam label over a legitimate one.

#6 rubdub

rubdub

    Stage One Kit Fitted

  • Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Location: Dublin

Posted Today, 09:00 AM

I think most phone camera apps have the ability to scan them these days, I know mine has Google Lens in the app which gets rid of the need for any third party apps. It also usually shows the link before you click through, which would be instagram.com/ blah blah.

I also appreciate the safety concerns, but I guess it depends on the context of where it is. Obviously would never click on a QR code that's in a bar, on a lamp post or the door of a toilet cubicle.. but I'd hope people would be more trusting of one on a cute little mini at a classic car meet... but it's up to that person at the end of the day.

 

Thinking I might try it for the next one and keep an eye on it, worst case scenario I just have to peel it off



#7 68+86auto

68+86auto

    One Carb Or Two?

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Location: Brisbane, Australia

Posted Today, 10:02 AM

I think most phone camera apps have the ability to scan them these days, I know mine has Google Lens in the app which gets rid of the need for any third party apps. It also usually shows the link before you click through, which would be instagram.com/ blah blah.

I also appreciate the safety concerns, but I guess it depends on the context of where it is. Obviously would never click on a QR code that's in a bar, on a lamp post or the door of a toilet cubicle.. but I'd hope people would be more trusting of one on a cute little mini at a classic car meet... but it's up to that person at the end of the day.

 

Thinking I might try it for the next one and keep an eye on it, worst case scenario I just have to peel it off

 

They often use a shortened address which means it is hard to tell where it really takes you.



#8 Colinmac1330

Colinmac1330

    Mini Mad

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted Today, 10:23 AM

At a mini meet up north recently there was a Citroen Ami pulled in and it just so happened it had a QR code in the window linking to his Instagram, guess who now follows him?  :gimme:



#9 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

    One Carb Or Two?

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • Location: Reading

Posted Today, 10:38 AM

Call me old fashioned but I have vague idea of what a Qr code is and happily for me that’s as far as it will ever get!

#10 rubdub

rubdub

    Stage One Kit Fitted

  • Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Location: Dublin

Posted Today, 10:40 AM

 

I think most phone camera apps have the ability to scan them these days, I know mine has Google Lens in the app which gets rid of the need for any third party apps. It also usually shows the link before you click through, which would be instagram.com/ blah blah.

I also appreciate the safety concerns, but I guess it depends on the context of where it is. Obviously would never click on a QR code that's in a bar, on a lamp post or the door of a toilet cubicle.. but I'd hope people would be more trusting of one on a cute little mini at a classic car meet... but it's up to that person at the end of the day.

 

Thinking I might try it for the next one and keep an eye on it, worst case scenario I just have to peel it off

 

They often use a shortened address which means it is hard to tell where it really takes you.

 

Tested it. Works fine. 

Attached Files



#11 rubdub

rubdub

    Stage One Kit Fitted

  • Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Location: Dublin

Posted Today, 10:41 AM

At a mini meet up north recently there was a Citroen Ami pulled in and it just so happened it had a QR code in the window linking to his Instagram, guess who now follows him?  :gimme:

 

Haha, nice! Glad to hear!



#12 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

    Up Into Fourth

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts
  • Location: Dagenham

Posted Today, 11:48 AM

my missus used to have one on her car when she had her business advertised on the side, that did get some sales, but that was pretty clearly advertised as to what it was for

 

if you're going to have a random QR code on the car it might be best to at least have written underneath 'follow me on instagram' or something so they at least know what they're linking to

 

my phone camera also works like that, you just open up 'camera' and hover it over the code, link pops up 'do you want to follow link' and you're off

 

I only do it when I know what it's for though.. a lot of user manuals are like that now, you just get a QR code instead of an actual booklet, or a link for setting up your wireless router or CCTV, etc..

 

To be honest from my own point of view I wouldn't really want people knowing anything about me and where my car usually goes on a daily basis, you'd want to make sure the insta doesn't give any useful clues about where it can easily be stolen from.  maybe I'm just cynical but I don't feel like most people out there are generally 'good' people

 

at a car show, maybe?  (not even then really) but definitely not in every car park and every time you leave it parked at the side of the road somewhere.  then again that applies if it's QR code or the insta name


Edited by stuart bowes, Today, 11:53 AM.


#13 panky

panky

    Camshaft & Stage Two Head

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts
  • Location: Cheshire

Posted Today, 01:28 PM

QR codes - stupid bloody things. I just got an updated Virgin Media hub and the attached password ticket had a QR code on it, ooo easy log on I thought but no just an endless stream of adverts that wouldn't go away O_O  Luckily it had a very long printed verision on the back.



#14 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

    One Carb Or Two?

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted Today, 04:05 PM

It'd be a cool idea to replicate a retro sticker, but with your instagram handle?






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users