11 replies to this topic

#1 Protarmic

Protarmic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:10 PM

Hiya! So, i was driving along and all of a sudden my car stopped! then i looked behind me... a trail of petrol! The pipe popped off of the fuel pump. This has been fixed, But some old fart was saying i need to get my engine sprayed to get rid of the petrol that leaked out.. or else my car with explode! :-

Is this true? I thought that petrol would have evaporated with the heat?

#2 overboost

overboost

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Local Club: Plymouth

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:25 PM

To be honest, you'll probably be alright however when the engine gets hot, and if you were to have a spark in the engine bay of any kind then the unburnt petrol that is now sitting over your engine bay will ignite and could become a rather nasty inferno in a matter of minutes, when you consider how much flamable stuff there is under your bonnet. (wires, cables, clips, plastic plus more petrol remember).

Just cover up all your electrical items such as alternator, fuse box and wires, dizzy and coil and pressure wash/steam clean (if you can) the engine bay. Job done.

#3 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:27 PM

it wont take long for the fuel to evaporate :-

#4 Protarmic

Protarmic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:29 PM

I like Bungles Reply. But inferno sounds scary. would a tin of degreaser get rid of the petrol?

#5 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:32 PM

The petrol wont be there anymore, it evaporates very quickly (its the vapours that are flammable not the liquid).

Fix the pipe so it doesnt come off again :-

#6 Protarmic

Protarmic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:38 PM

The petrol wont be there anymore, it evaporates very quickly (its the vapours that are flammable not the liquid).

Fix the pipe so it doesnt come off again :)

A mechanic put it back on, but different from what it was, so it runs across the manifold, so im getting it rerouted so it stays away from stuff like that.

Well now im sure its just evaporated! But the old git was sure that it could leak into my engine, what the :)? :-

#7 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:42 PM

A mechanic put it back on, but different from what it was, so it runs across the manifold, so im getting it rerouted so it stays away from stuff like that.

Well now im sure its just evaporated! But the old git was sure that it could leak into my engine, what the :-?

Make sure you use copper piping for any runs that go near the manifolds, the rubber tubes could melt on the exhaust manifold which would make a bit of a mess !

Wasnt the pipe clipped on ? It should have a jubilee/circlip type on it that clamps it really tightly at all the connections.

Petrol leaking into your engine ? That'd be what the carb is for !

#8 Protarmic

Protarmic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:48 PM

Well now im sure its just evaporated! But the old git was sure that it could leak into my engine, what the :-?

Make sure you use copper piping for any runs that go near the manifolds, the rubber tubes could melt on the exhaust manifold which would make a bit of a mess !

Wasnt the pipe clipped on ? It should have a jubilee/circlip type on it that clamps it really tightly at all the connections.

Petrol leaking into your engine ? That'd be what the carb is for !

The jubliee clip had popped off, the pipe was pretty perished.. there is a copper pipe there, its an odd shape and been put on the other way so all the bends lead it back to the manifold.

#9 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:52 PM

And a 'mechanic' did this ? :-

Get yourself to halfrauds or somewhere similar and buy some new rubber pipe and some jubilee clips and redo it ! It will cost you about £10 max for the bits.

#10 Protarmic

Protarmic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:00 PM

And a 'mechanic' did this ? :-

Get yourself to halfrauds or somewhere similar and buy some new rubber pipe and some jubilee clips and redo it ! It will cost you about £10 max for the bits.

Haha i would, but i cant get my hands down there very easily. I have twin carbs so i have no room at all. I just cant be arsed!

#11 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:10 PM

You'd rather a hot manifold melts through the pipe and causes petrol to leak all over the manifold, sending the engine up in flames? Well, tis your life!

#12 Protarmic

Protarmic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:04 PM

You'd rather a hot manifold melts through the pipe and causes petrol to leak all over the manifold, sending the engine up in flames? Well, tis your life!

Nah im getting a mechanic to fit a new one! While its getting welded :-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users