spud

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Local Club: HMC

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:44 PM

Hi,

My mini is soon ready for it's MoT and I would just like to know your thoughts on the following:-

1) I have fitted new discs and pads to the front brakes but unfortunately they are not very efficient probably because they are not run in - but how can I because the vehicle has no tax or test so I can't run them in so that they work better - might it fail on this? The pedal itself is very good and I have only tested them on my driveway but they don't feel like they are as good as they could be.

2) My gearbox is an automatic and the switch which will only allow the starter to operate has broken so I have linked the wires so that it will start in any gear :w00t: is this a fail point?

Cheers,

spud.

#2 incrediblerog

incrediblerog

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Local Club: ?

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:01 PM

haev you had a look through this http://www.ukmot.com/manual.asp

#3 nomininolife

nomininolife

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Mates

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:12 PM

The inhibitor switch is not a fail, just put a sticky note on the steering wheel to let the tester know.

The brakes should be fine, I have put cars through the mot with new discs, pads, drums and shoes and never had any problems. All I can suggest is, if there are are any hills in the area around where you live /the test centre, go down with your foot lightly on the pedal. That should start them off.

David

Edited by nomininolife, 29 November 2006 - 10:13 PM.

#4 spud

spud

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:13 PM

Yep - I've looked at that but all the info on brake efficiency etc doesn't mean much without the brake testing machine.

I thought I would ask the question just in case someone had come across this situation in the past. Next time I buy a Mini to restore I'll get one with a bit of tax and test on it :w00t:

Cheers,

spud.

#5 spud

spud

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for the input :w00t: I feel a bit more confident now.

One other thing, when I put the headlights on and then switch on the rear fog light I find that it will be on whether I am on dippped beam or high beam :w00t: is it OK? And will it pass the MoT like this because I am led to believe that they should only work with the headlights in the dipped position!!

Cheers,

spud.

#6 nomininolife

nomininolife

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Mates

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:10 PM

Yes that is fine, it just means you cannot light the rear fog lamps with no other lighting.

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users