#1 directorydaz

directorydaz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 04:46 PM

This weekend i started Project Grant R

I have chopped the front of and have the frame nearly made (frame 1)

I am making this all myself and i am aiming to have it running by chrimbo, and on the road by Bingley hall so i can get plenty of miles under its belt before i head of to the ring again..

Why the K i hear you say... cost, these engines and parts are so cheep its a very good alternitive to a screaming 1380.

These are pics from the other day when i was lining up to make the frame

Attached Files

#2 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 11 December 2006 - 04:49 PM

Nice one looks good and Im sure it will go good as well!

#3 directorydaz

directorydaz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 04:53 PM

yeah hopfully thats the plan..

i am looking (hoping) for around 110-120bhp out of the 1.6 i have

#4 cardboard

cardboard

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:07 PM

im saving up to do something like this i will be following your post closely for ideas

#5 Geehawk

Geehawk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:08 PM

I have chopped the front of

You're not kidding :- What did you use, an axe :xmas: :bah: :thumbsup:

#6 Mini Beth

Mini Beth

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Local Club: MINI MOB!!

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:11 PM

Hey Daz!!!

Looks cool!!!

Hope you get it done by christmas!!!

#7 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:58 PM

looks good TAKE NOTICE TOMM!!

#8 directorydaz

directorydaz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:58 PM

You're not kidding :- What did you use, an axe :xmas: :bah: :thumbsup:

LOL... well i took the wings slam etc off complete so there edges are tidy... some bodge merchant before me had use rivits with the odd blob of weld so car side looks untidy for now

#9 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:59 PM

hehe thanks Nick!

This looks great! Exactly what i should be doing this time next week :thumbsup: I assume that its a 1.4. What have you done subframe wise/ i assume that you have used the mini one and odified it so that you can retain the standard length of the front end and still use mini drive shafts/ I will deffinately be keeping an eye on this and i should start my K-series topic off next week.

Hopefully i will be able to steal some ideas from you :bah:

Tomm

Just read the bit that says (the 1.6 i have) (sorry)

Edited by tomm, 11 December 2006 - 07:00 PM.

#10 directorydaz

directorydaz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:04 PM

hehe thanks Nick!

This looks great! Exactly what i should be doing this time next week :thumbsup: I assume that its a 1.4. What have you done subframe wise/ i assume that you have used the mini one and odified it so that you can retain the standard length of the front end and still use mini drive shafts/ I will deffinately be keeping an eye on this and i should start my K-series topic off next week.

Hopefully i will be able to steal some ideas from you :bah:

Tomm

Just read the bit that says (the 1.6 i have) (sorry)

Yeah i have cut it off from the towers and building forward from there.. that engine is a 1.4 but i am only using it for mounting.. i have a 1.6 sat in doner car waiting from the frame to be finished... then once mounted i will go from there..

I intend on using "sleved" drive shafts and i am retaining the mini width.. infact it will be staying on its 10's with S brakes

i will hopefully have the mouting finished by the weekend and it sat in the car, it will be able to fit under std round nose (as i have other minis and a moke i intend on using a copy of this frame for) but this mini will be having a clubman front on.

Geehawk (assuming your the same guy offa 16vminiclub)... with clubman front do i still have to make romote oil filter housing?

#11 Geehawk

Geehawk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:12 PM

Geehawk (assuming your the same guy offa 16vminiclub)... with clubman front do i still have to make romote oil filter housing?

I might well be him :thumbsup:

99.9% sure that the remote filter thing is done when using standard Mini suspension because it is in the way of the tiebar on that side. Nothing to do with roundnose or clubby.

#12 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:13 PM

the lump you are using is the sam as tomm is having off me! spi 1.4 16v lump!!

EDIT p.s. i dont think the sleving driveshafts would be the best option!! surely shortening the k-series items is the best/most relieable option!!

Edited by fikus01, 11 December 2006 - 07:17 PM.

#13 directorydaz

directorydaz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:16 PM

I might well be him :thumbsup:

99.9% sure that the remote filter thing is done when using standard Mini suspension because it is in the way of the tiebar on that side. Nothing to do with roundnose or clubby.

ah ta for that.. i wasnt sure if it was because it fouls up the front by being too far forward... i havent lower the engine enough to look at tie bars yet

#14 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:27 PM

having seen where the oil filter is on a k, surely it would pay to remote mount it either way to keep it away from harm!! if a cricket was to hop a little too high over a race track its in danger of getting knocked!! dont forget to remote mount the thermostst too!! saves on head gasket changes!!

Edited by fikus01, 11 December 2006 - 07:28 PM.

#15 directorydaz

directorydaz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:31 PM

having seen where the oil filter is on a k, surely it would pay to remote mount it either way to keep it away from harm!! if a cricket was to hop a little too high over a race track its in danger of getting knocked!! dont forget to remote mount the thermostst too!! saves on head gasket changes!!

well once i have it sat in and on car properly i can make a propper decision over it.. i have been doing loadsa research over a long time on this... and after all of it i am found myself "sucking and seeing" when i have come to doing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users