howson02

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Forum

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:20 PM

hey everyone,

After buying myself a little project (and not being very experienced) i have came across a problem, which will probably be very simple to fix however i am puzzled.

when i go to start the car it sounds like the battery is dead as the starter motor hardly turns, so i replaced the battery with a brand new one, still the same, so i thought i would try a new starter motor, after fitting the new one it is still the same, anyone had the same problem by the sound of it? or anyone know how to fix it?

#2 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:27 PM

is it making a machine gun sound when you turn the key? it could mean the starter solenoid has gone.

#3 cardboard

cardboard

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:33 PM

im with the solenoid

#4 howson02

howson02

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:38 PM

it just sounds like a very slowed down version of what it should sound like, instead of making the fast repetitive noise it should do to start, it is making a very slow paced turnover at a very low rate, say one revolution per second if that makes any sense??

it is a new starter motor and solenoid by the way

i was thinking something to do with the electrics, but i dont know what?

#5 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:39 PM

check your earths.

sounds like a duff battery but you say you have changed it already hmmmmm

#6 howson02

howson02

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:41 PM

yeah it sounds just like the battery is dead, but it is new

what should i check the earth terminals for??

#7 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:45 PM

tightness and that they are making a good connection.

also try and turn it over with the spark plugs out.

#8 howson02

howson02

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:50 PM

does the actual tightness of the connections to the battery matter, they are quiet loose (loose enough to pull off) will this effect the seemingly lack of power?

#9 howson02

howson02

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:26 PM

is there anything else i can check?

#10 philc

philc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:52 PM

check all the earths and give them a good clean, especially the one from the battery and engine to subframe

#11 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Local Club: Milton Keynes Mini Club, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:09 PM

A very common symtom on a mini, I had it only a month ago. I bet it is your earhting! I also bet my bottom dollar that the engine to body earth nis poor. If you have poor engine earthing, then your generator is not effectively charging the battery.

Basically, the bodyshell acts as a `sink' where most of the negative (if your car is negative earth) attach to. Because the stell body is a great electrical conductor, you then have a lot less wiring!
Anyway, do you have an earth strap in between the clutch cover and the inner right wing? Look carefully, as it will more than likely be tucked right under the clutch cover.

If you dont, then I would suggest getting an earth strap, available from minispares to name but one supplier. At least on an early mini like mine, there should be a few holes on the inner right wing, and the forward most one (I think) will allow an 8mm bolt to pass through. This will enable you to place the strap betwenn this hole, and under a bolt head on the clutch cover.

Even if your engine is earthed elsewhere, I would highly recommend you establish an earth at this location. At leats on early minis, it is there I think and wouldnt hurt in your case. You can never have too many earths!
If youe earthing is weak, like it may be at present, then earthing can possibly find its way through the throttle and choke cables, and the heavy electrical loads placed by the starter motor could fuse them!

Why not PM me, and I will give you my phone number so you can call and I will talk you thru it

I bet this will sort your problem. If you do have an earth strap already in this location, remove it, clean the terminals etc, add dielectric greas or vaseline to minimise corrosion, then replace!

Edited by mk=john, 11 December 2006 - 11:16 PM.

#12 Protarmic

Protarmic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:19 PM

does the actual tightness of the connections to the battery matter, they are quiet loose (loose enough to pull off) will this effect the seemingly lack of power?

You should tighten them up and put vaseline on them! I had that problem too, and unfortunelty bought a new battery.. which now sits in my garage going to waste.

#13 howson02

howson02

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:18 PM

thanks for the help guys! its much appreciated

mk=john, i have pm'ed you.

#14 mk=john

mk=john