8 replies to this topic

#1 robson

robson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:49 PM

Could someone tell me the difference between a solid state facet fuel pump and a red / silver top fuel pump? apparent differences:

FACET FUEL PUMP COMPETITION SILVER TOP has 30 gph 1/4" fuel line
FACET FUEL PUMP SILVER TOP has 18 gph 1/4" fuel line
FACET FUEL PUMP RED TOP FOR 5/16" FUEL LINES 40 gph will require 5/16" fuel lines

FUEL PUMP FACET FAST ROAD SOLID STATE PUMP 18 gph
FUEL PUMP,FACET "STD" SOLID STATE PUMP 12 gph
FUEL PUMP COMPETITION SOLID STATE FUEL PUMP 25 gph

What are the intended applications of a "top" pump and a solid state? Do they work in different ways? What is the standard size of fuel line? Finally which would be most suited to a 1380 with a 45 weber carb? Thanks

#2 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:50 PM

gallions per hour are diffrent.

psi is what you need to look at (I think) the lowest raceface one is 3psi which is about what you want for standard. BUT! you have a bigger meaner engine so you should get the slightly higher psi one with a fuel pressure regulator that way you can tone it down a bit and stop petrol pissing out all over the shop.

on the solid state front, somthing to do with the way it's driven I believe.

#3 vasi

vasi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:41 PM

Solid-state fuel pumps imply that they can be controlled via pulse width modulation. ie a square wave could be sent to maintain say, 50% duty cycle.

They also need a filter pre-pump.

#4 robson

robson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 11:20 AM

If its driven by pwm, how come there arent any controllers for them? with a regulator, is there a limit to how much they can regulate? ie could i stick a 40 gph and limit it to 20 if i wanted? Which pump is most suited to a 1380? Thanks

#5 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:58 PM

my facet solid state pump just runs at a consatnt speed!! maybe it is controlled by a pulse with modulator but it must all be internal!! the speed does not vary when the pressure rises!! it works the same way as a std mini mechanical item, runs 100% of the time just doesnt pump over a certain pressure!!

that may sound confusing!!

the cylindrical types are pressure regulated as they slow when the pressure gets to a certain point!!

#6 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:07 PM

do you need to run a return from the regulator to the tank though to stop huge pressure build ups??

#7 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:16 PM

nope the pump will only put out a certain pressure then it will operate but not pass any pressure!! seriously the same way a mechanical one works! just electronic and smaller!! tho ideally you get it for the size of engine you have!!

its called solid state i think because its a solenoid(electro-magnetic) and spring and its contorlled by a clock pulse electronically!!

it will only be able to pass as much pressiure as the spring will push!! once its reached the pressure the 1 way valve holds the pressure til the carb uses it and the pressure holds the spring up!!!!

that help??

you can run a bigger pump and put it thru a pressure regulator tho!! thats what im doing!! soild state pump rated upto 150bhp and im only looking for 70 - 80!!

#8 robson

robson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:59 PM

thats cleared that up for me however why are there solid state types and can types? what is the application for each?

#9 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 02:24 PM

i dont think solid state ones are capable of flowing as much!! i really dont know tho!! have seen both on a race car!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users