Photo
- - - - -

What type of water is best for the Coolng System?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Local Club: Milton Keynes Mini Club, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:41 PM

Hi
I have a 998 Mk1 Morris Cooper. I am about to drain the cooland, and replenish with new coolant. as well as check the thermostat.

I have Gycol based antifreeze concentrate, and as far as the Haynes Manual says, rainwater is the best water to use.

Because I would have to wait for ages to accumulate rain water, can I use de-ionised or distilled water with the Gycol antifreeze as the coolant mix?

What are the advantages, and disadvantages of using this type of water?

I have about 25 litres of the stuff, as I also use it for my radio control steam boat as it doesn't cause scaling in the boiler.

Thanks

#2 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:47 PM

h20 is usually the prefered choice with some antifreze!! other than that i havent heard of exotic mixtures of other purified waters being used!! i thought thats more often reserved for aluminium engines!!

#3 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:02 PM

i think that the antifreeze inhibits oxidosztion (rusting) of the internals therefore as long as you use it in the right mixture, tap water should do fine... its what i use anyway.

#4 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:04 PM

Distilled water is much the same as deionised water.

It should be the preffered water to use. Tap water is full of other C**p, though not a lot, it does settle out. The problem is that chlorine reacts with the Molybdate inhibitors in the antifreeze and causes it to drop out of solution. Theres not a lot of chlorine so is not dramatic in its effect, but worth noting all the same.

#5 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Local Club: Milton Keynes Mini Club, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:08 PM

Hi
I live in a hard water area, Milton Keynes in Buckinghamshire. So, rather than let the 25 litres of distilled water go to waste, should I use it in my cooling system?
I know that if I left it all for my R/C model steam boat it would last over 20 years!

Thanks

#6 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:14 PM

My experience with DI water is that it tends to leach things out of whatever it touches. Think of it as eroding, not corroding. I would characterize it as much more reactive than distilled water. However, once you mix DI water with anti-freeze I doubt it would behave any differently than distilled. Since you've got it, use it!

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:33 AM

If you're worried about the chlorine then leave some tap water in a bucket overnight before using it. All the chlorine evaporates off of tap water really quickly as there's not a lot in it as Sprocket says. Since you have the stuff then why not use it, but then what happens in three years time when you need to change the coolant? Gonna use more of your supply? In a few years you'll have none left for the steam boat!

#8 Jesus

Jesus

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Local Club: desciples mini club

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:38 AM

I use Holy Water!!!!!!!!

#9 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:50 AM

If you're worried about the chlorine then leave some tap water in a bucket overnight before using it. All the chlorine evaporates off of tap water really quickly as there's not a lot in it as Sprocket says. Since you have the stuff then why not use it, but then what happens in three years time when you need to change the coolant? Gonna use more of your supply? In a few years you'll have none left for the steam boat!

Little tip from my fishkeeping days, if you draw water during the week it tends to have a lower chlorine content than at the weekends for some reason I have forgotten. Its not loads but noticeable if you test the water.

Sticking an airstone in with the water will help it get rid of the chlorine faster as well, or you can use the 'de-chlorinator' solutions available in most fish/pet shops (shouldnt have any effect on the engine internals as its got to be safe for the fishys!)

Presumably you also want soft rather than hard water to help prevent the build up of limescale in the system so rainwater would also be good.

But hey, people have been using tap water for years so its probably not going to make any difference !

#10 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:19 PM

You can buy de-ionised water from motor factors, although if i were you id use it in the steam boat and distill some water yourself for the mini.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users