9 replies to this topic

#1 Robanzac

Robanzac

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:38 AM

Can anybody out there tell me what is available in the way of scanners, code readers, diagnostic units or whatever you want to call them for MPi's

#2 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:01 PM

One would have thought they would still be used in normal garage servicing as MPIs have only just started to reach 10 years old...that and the readers must be compatible with other rover ECUs...could ask your local?

#3 BabyBek

BabyBek

I love sheepies

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Local Club: TMF and South Wales Minis

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:12 PM

Are there a lot of local Rover dealers in New Zealand??

to be honest I'd quite like to know the answer to this question too, especially as both mine are MPI's ....

anybody??

#4 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:52 PM

The Old Git has an SPI unit.... for newer cars, you would probably need to find an ex-rover dealer...

#5 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:13 PM

http://www.mgrover.c.../contactus.html

Well, they certainly exist/existed.

Edited by nev_payne, 18 December 2006 - 02:13 PM.

#6 pinch

pinch

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:55 PM

my friend has a nice hand held Snap-On scanner. fits most cars. they are expensive though, but would pay for themselves over time, you ould charge your mates for diagnosing their car problems, as it would fit other cars as well as minis. search the internet for diagnostic scanners or something similar.

#7 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:36 PM

Sykes and Pickavant ACR with Rover pod 4 and relevant leads.

Its not cheap if your considering buying it yourself though, any of them.

#8 Robanzac

Robanzac

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:27 AM

Thanks for these replies

Baybek, you are right to surmise that there may be very few Rover dealers in NZ and even more so at the very bottom of the South Island where I live, and even more so some more as I live out in the sticks a bit. As well these cars were never sold new here anyway (they come in via private imports from the UK or Japan) so even the few Rover dealers that do exist are unlikely to be knowledgeable or interested.

Pinch, the Snap-0n scanners, do you know anything more like the model and maybe who sells them in the UK?. I have been onto a Snap-On website but it is a US site and as such doesn’t indicate that the Mini’s are covered at all. A Uk contact or seller could probably clear that up for me.

MiniSprocket, I haven’t had a look at the Sykes and Pickavant yet but I will get around to it. ( I have downloaded their catalogue but yet to read it)
I also think you may have mentioned a Crypton product in a post long ago (maybe this).
Is this also a suitable unit? (300 pounds, which doesn’t sound too excessive from my remote position)

Once again, Thankyou for the replies

#9 pinch

pinch

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:29 PM

hello mate. the snap on rep is popping into my car yard tomorrow, if i see him i will try and get some info off him about them.

#10 StaffordSi

StaffordSi

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 02:48 PM

the Snap-On Diagnostic Scanner does work with both MPI and SPI Mini's, the port is located at the very base of the steering column and uses the standard (can't remember the name of it) port that all manufacturers use now..... how ever the unit is VERY!!!!! expensive..... so I just use works *shrug*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users