#1 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:53 PM

Evening,

Well got some more parts for El Gordo one of which are all my oil pressure gauge bits. Now then I see how it all goes together. Problem is theres this little washer for the block end of the pipe that goes to the pressure gauge. But theres only one washer. Should I go hunt for another washer for the pressure gauge end of the pipe?

Also I bought a gasket kit for El Gordo as I always seem to be neededing random ones. In the kit came most of the standard gaskets but one's confused the life from me.

I'l a little black half found squeege looking thingy. Like a window wiper but bulker and really short (about 4 inch long) and ideas what it is?

Cheers.

#2 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:56 PM

Not sure what you mean about the washers?????

The rubber gasket you refer to sounds like the gearbox/block half moon seal (timing chain end).

#3 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 05:59 PM

aaaaaah, hang on, for the pressure gauge, they 'usually' are a similar fitting to a brake pipe (flared end) no???? Therefore I'd think you only need a washer on the block end of the pipe.

#4 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:01 PM

yeah, brake pipe (whats written on the bag :-) so I'll only use the little washer on the block end.

Also will I be needing this half noon thingy for when I do the timing chain?

also, cheers for the help so far Mini Mad you ninja you.

#5 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:06 PM

................cheers for the help so far Mini Mad you ninja you.

Don't tell everyone, being a Ninja is all about stealth, now everyone knows about me, how can I creep up on people and decapitate them??? :-

Erm, the seal aint needed for when you do the timing chain no. That seal is used when the box and block are split, it's just near the timing chain (behind the backplate at the bottom). There should be a gasket in your kit that is the same shape as the timing cover (10-12 bolts, about 10"-12" across). There will also be a round rubber seal (40mmish diameter x 5-10mm thick) for where the crank passes through the timing cover, change that while you're at it! :-

#6 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:11 PM

yep, got the crank one. Hell got two! Orded one from a later car because it's mean to be better but in the cheapo gasket kit theres one too.

#7 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:13 PM

you mean the tiny washer that goes inside the union from the pipe end to the adapter? Its a fibre washer that sits outside the little lip on the adapter.

Yes you need 2 (no idea where to get one that size from) but equally a suitable sized O-ring will do the job. something to sandwich between the adapter and the brass part in the end of the pipe.

#8 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:00 PM

i made my own one when i lost it out of 2 layers of the cardboard they make folders out of!! its like thick paper!! u can make gaskets out of it too!! took some time but kept me amused, u'll need a stanley knife and a means of punching a hole in the gasket

#9 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:38 PM

Wait, so I do need one on the gauge end now too?

#10 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:46 PM

yep!! 1 fibre washer on each end!!otherwise you mite end up filling your dashboard with oil

#11 Kerrin

Kerrin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Local Club: Manx Mini Register

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:56 PM

I had the same problem recently with the oil pressure gauge gaskets.
There are two types of fitting on the tee piece (engine end) and the pipe need to be the same type.
the first is a taper type which nips up to keep it oil tight. The second, which I have has the same little gasket on each end.
I fitted the Aeroquip braided pipe and couldnt get the little gasket anywhere. i eventually ordered a new adapter. part number "OA"
Minispares just to get the little gasket and stop oil pi**ing into the dash.

I couldnt find it seperately anywhere. I even went to Mini Sport while I was on holiday over the water, and had no luck.

Maybe the gasket paper in a few layers is a good plan, pretty fiddly though?

#12 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:03 AM

yes its fiddly!! the hole in the middle doesnt have to be precise, just there. your only measuring pressure, not letting oil flow thru it. a pin hole would do the same job, just be slower to react!

#13 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:16 AM

alright, I'll make one. Well I'll try westage 1st. Would a copper/brass washer work you think?

Also will cereal box card be ok, hear people use it lots instead of gasket paper.

#14 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:28 AM

yeh cereal box sounds good to me!! i would put the one that came with the gauge behind the dash and your fabridcated one in the engine bay becase if your 1 fails it wont make as much mess as 1 in the car will

#15 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 01:07 AM

...considering I will notice a leak at the gauge end, thats were the DIY one is going.

Already got a oil, wd40, 3-in-1 in the carpets. I should really clean El Gordo out someday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users