5 replies to this topic

#1 tino

tino

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 07:37 PM

Ive found the following problems on my mini...

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The left side I think im just going to weld over as its not gone through to the wing or Scuttle yet luckily, the Right wing I think I might replace or patch not sure on that yet. The Scuttle is also untouched on that side as well so thats quite lucky, the people before me seemed to like filler which is nice of them but overall I think the car is pretty solid or at least it seems it from when ive looked it over numerous other times.

The only problem is that I use the car daily so I don't have much time in which she can be off the road for also the fact that im at uni most of the year and don't have my tools with me doesnt help but I think ive got enough time to sort out these problems before I go back to uni.

#2 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 09:01 PM

the first pics can be patched if you're sure you have enough clean metal to weld to and are good at patching.... but i'd be suprised if you didn't have to replace the A-panels too...., as the rot probably extends under the paintwork, and the A-panels are quite easy to distort.....But those wings need replacing, It's very hard to patch it up well enough and get the curve right... if it's slightly off it looks w*nk! I would just get some heritage panels and replace what needs replacing.

Edited by Retro_10s, 25 December 2006 - 09:02 PM.

#3 tino

tino

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 10:26 PM

So replace the whole lot or just some of it?

Im not going to have time to sort it this hol so i'll have to just patch her again an sort it in the summer when ive got more time :dontgetit: she's just got to last me another 6months and about 10,000 miles :X

#4 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 11:17 PM

Leave it till the summer when you can do it properly, rather than wasting you time and money bodging it, don'tsee it getting much worse than it already is. As it most probably will need new wings and once there off new scuttle corners and support panels (the ones that live under the scuttle at the back corners of the wheel arch) then once that’s done, if the also need it the a panels as well.

#5 tino

tino

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 01:28 AM

Thanks thought as much, the scuttle corners are still solid so hopefully will remain that way :X

Im still surprised thats all the rust ive found on a 28year old car....(speaking it up now) *touch wood*

#6 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 03:00 PM

I thought my scuttle panel was ok till I took the wing off and found I had nothing for the new closing panel to be weld to.

[attachment=24303:06.9.14t..._scuttle.JPG]
[attachment=24304:06.9.25th__5.JPG]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users