Photo
- - - - -

Can you re-register a car once it's been declared scrapped TO THE dvla?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 26 December 2006 - 05:11 PM

In simple terms go to the scrapyard buy a shell with an id number then build it up to a car again then apply to the dvla and tell them you have made a car they cannot refuse a registration. Keep all recieps. You might get a Q or age related.

#17 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:34 AM

You might get a Q or age related.

You will get a "Q" plate

#18 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:29 AM

If you are rebuilding or radically altering a vehicle, or building a vehicle from a kit, it will need to meet certain criteria before the vehicle is registered. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) local office will assign the original or an appropriate registration mark on the evidence provided.

Sometimes, however, a vehicle needs to be rebuilt and this can call the identity of the vehicle into question. Is it the original which has simply been repaired or have so many new or different parts been used in the rebuilding process that the original vehicle has been effectively broken up?

In allocating a registration mark to a rebuilt vehicle, the Agency's main interest is to establish whether or not the vehicle is newly constructed with no previously registered identity (in the present form). Vehicles, which have been substantially rebuilt, need to be examined by one of the DVLA local offices.

A vehicle identity check (VIC) will apply to those vehicles notified to the DVLA as being written off on or after 7 April 2003. Any vehicle, which has failed VIC, will not be entitled to retain its original registration mark, DVLA local office will allocate a 'Q' registration mark and an enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA) or single vehicle approval (SVA) or motorcycle single vehicle approval (MSVA) certificate will be required.

If however, a VIC application is rejected by the Vehicle and Operators Services Agency, the DVLA local office will need to inspect the vehicle in order to allocate an alternative registration mark. An ESVA, SVA or MSVA will be required.

#19 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:51 AM

The above description will only apply to cars which have not already been registered as scrapped (which is his original question).

#20 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:37 PM

The above description will only apply to cars which have not already been registered as scrapped (which is his original question).

sorry mate, don't agree.

i have in my possession DVLA leaflet number INF 26 (guidelines for the registration of rebuilt or radically altered vehicles and kit cars)

it clearly states that the reason all scrapped cars need to be reported to DVLA is to prevent stolen cars using their identity.
and... when allocating a reg mark to a vehicle the agencies main interest is to establish whether or not the vehicle is newly built with no previous registered identity (in it's present form)

if this vehicle has been repaired or rebuilt it needs to take a VIC (vehicle identity check) test, if this proves it's the same vehicle you can get the original reg number back (if available). if this is not available you can have an age related plate.
if it fails the VIC test you can get a Q plate.

i think most people worry to much about all this, it's not some black market you know.

if you rebuild a scrapped car and can prove it's original and legit, you CAN re-register it.

simple as that.

PS: i would scan the leaflet and post it up but my scanners blew up !!!!!

#21 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:01 PM

Thank you!

Having built many vehicles myself and registering them over the years i have had no problems. Be it a lawnmower/bike or car.
The only prob you could have is if the vic check finds it stolen.
The dvla would rather give an age related plate because it is so easy to ring a Q.

#22 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:35 PM

Hope this clears things up

Rebuilt Vehicles
DVLA’s Current Procedures
27. A rebuilt vehicle may keep its identity provided it retains enough of the original components, including the
unmodified or new chassis/monocoque bodyshell. It must also contain at least two major components from the
original vehicle. The major components are regarded as the suspension (front and back), axles (both), transmission,
steering assembly, engine. If a second hand or modified chassis/monocoque bodyshell is used a Q registration mark
will be issued and the vehicle will be subject to one of the following depending on the vehicle type;
• Enhanced Single Vehicle Approval (ESVA), (ESVA is not yet available in NI and if a vehicle requires
ESVA it must be tested outside NI)
• Single Vehicle Approval (SVA), or
• (in NI) a Department Approval Certificate (DAC)
28. Likewise, a motorcycle may keep its original registration mark providing it retains the original or new,
unmodified frame and two major components i.e. forks, wheels or engine/gearbox. If a second hand or modified
frame is used the vehicle will be allocated a Q registration mark and Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval (MSVA)
will be required.
29. The DVLA/DVLNI Vehicle Inspection Officer also considers the information provided by the applicant, on the
pre-inspection report, V627/1, when inspecting the vehicle.
30. One of the drawbacks of the current system is that generally, other than the chassis/monocoque bodyshell/frame
and the engine, the major components of the vehicle are not marked by the manufacturer.
31. The objective of the inspection for this category of vehicle is to establish if the rebuilt vehicle contains enough of
the original vehicle to retain the original registration mark.
32. We would like your views on
i. Whether the current system meet its objective; if not
ii. How you consider the current procedures can be improved?
iii. Whether you consider the examination of the documentary evidence an important part of the inspection
process?
iv. Whether you regard the current use of two major components as relevant?
v. Whether you consider, in the case of rebuilt motorcycles, that the engine and gearbox should be regarded
as two separate components?
vi. How you would like to see rebuilt vehicles assessed?
vii. Whether you consider that the Vehicle Registration Certificate should be annotated to indicate that a
vehicle has been accident damaged?
viii. Whether you consider that, in the interests of road safety, all amateur rebuilt vehicles should be subject
to ESVA/SVA/MSVA/DAC (in NI)?
ix. Who do you consider has the expertise to inspect rebuilt vehicles?
x. Who should bear the cost of the inspection?
VOSA’s Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) Scheme
33. The VIC scheme is a compulsory identity check, carried out by VOSA, of any car or tricycles which has been
‘written off’ as category A, B or C salvage by an insurer following accident damage and which is subsequently
repaired for road use. The check also applies to scrapped cars with third party insurance.
34. The scheme was introduced primarily to deter vehicle crime. In particular, to help prevent criminals from
stealing cars and passing them off as repaired accident damaged.
35. The VIC seeks to ensure that the vehicle presented for inspection is that recorded on DVLA’s vehicle register.
The vehicle examiner looks for evidence of repaired damage and to this end will compare the vehicle presented for
inspection to the Insurance Company’s inspection report. A check is also made to ensure that the vehicle
specification is the same and that the identification plate/number is the original rather than a substitute.
36. Once VOSA is satisfied that the vehicle is the original a certificate is issued to the customer which allows them
to register the vehicle. As a consumer protection aid any subsequent Vehicle Registration Certificate is annotated
“The vehicle has been substantially repaired and/or accident damaged”.
37. However, not all vehicles are accepted through the VIC scheme. For instance, if a vehicle has been re-shelled
with a new bodyshell (from the manufacturer) and the VIN is therefore not visible/available or has been stamped by
someone other than the manufacturer, or, if a vehicle has been radically altered from its original specification, it is
rejected from the VIC scheme and is referred to DVLA. The vehicle is then subject to DVLA’s INF 26 procedures.
However, it cannot retain its original identity irrespective of how much of the original vehicle is used in the rebuild.
38. The objective of the VIC scheme is to ensure that vehicles which have been written off by an insurance
company, or declared '‘scrapped'’ by their owners due to accident damage, and are subsequently repaired/rebuilt for
road use are the vehicle they purport to be and not a vehicle that has been stolen.
:w00t:

#23 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:33 PM

i think the last point (38) is the most relevant in this case. DVLA are interested in stopping false identities not preventing the repair of cherished vehicles.

And if the vehicle is to be "repaired" not "Rebuilt", it's a big difference i think.

lets not forget that most cars are written off because they are not "economically viable" to repair, not because they are "unrepairable".

#24 Andywade

Andywade

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:12 PM

thanks for all the useful info, having just written off my mini - I'm in the process of getting it back for repairs, however it was classified as a cat B (its really not that bad, sub frames are fine bodyshell square floors square , jut needs a new front end (incl inner wings) and the drivers side suspensionneeds rebuilding (will do both sides to make sure its all set up lovely. When I ask the insurers about this they dont seem to realise that a scrapped vehicle doesnt have to be scrapped and can in fact be repaired privately and re-registered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users