5 replies to this topic

#1 lucask001

lucask001

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:03 AM

Hi Mini gods hope you all had a nice Christmas.
My mini has decided that it doesnt want to start this morning. Basically when i turn the key nothing happens. The starter motor doesnt even click and the ignition lights dont go on in the dash.The headlights go on but the cd player, heater, indicators or even the hazard lights will not switch on. I tried a push start as well and it wouldnt even try to start.
I have tried WD40ing the distributor, all the leads and fuses but it still wont start. I have checked the battery and theres plenty of juice left. Iv got a feeling its a wiring problem but which wires do you think im best looking at? or what else do you think could be a problem?
All help wll be greatly appreciated?

Cheers

Luke

#2 adam_-mini

adam_-mini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:10 AM

Hi Mini gods hope you all had a nice Christmas.
My mini has decided that it doesnt want to start this morning. Basically when i turn the key nothing happens. The starter motor doesnt even click and the ignition lights dont go on in the dash.The headlights go on but the cd player, heater, indicators or even the hazard lights will not switch on. I tried a push start as well and it wouldnt even try to start.
I have tried WD40ing the distributor, all the leads and fuses but it still wont start. I have checked the battery and theres plenty of juice left. Iv got a feeling its a wiring problem but which wires do you think im best looking at? or what else do you think could be a problem?
All help wll be greatly appreciated?

Cheers

Luke

either the battery is completely empty or you need a new starter by the sounds of things.

#3 vasi

vasi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:30 AM

Ignition is unfused, so clean and reconnect the brown wires coming from the fuseable links right hand side engine bay, inner wing (clutch end). One of these feeds the lights via the fusebox and light switch, this one is obviously ok in your situation. Another runs straight to the ignition barrel common pin, aka +12v raw. This may be at fault.

#4 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:30 AM

Start at the back and work forwards;

Check the battery connections are both clean, attached and that nothing else is touching them (such as an amp :w00t: ).

Move to the front, get a multimeter and check you are getting 12v+ at the starter solonoid.

Check all the fuses, pop them out and give them a clean with a wire brush as well as the holder itself and check the inline fuses (behind the filter) as well.

Check your earth strap is on and not broken, if poss take it off and give the connections at the end a good clean with some sandpaper.

Edited by Jimmyarm, 28 December 2006 - 11:32 AM.

#5 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:53 AM

Dry off all the bits you covered in WD40, it will not help things. The ignition system needs to be clean and dry to work. If you have to use a spray of somesort, which you shouldn't, use electrical switch cleaner, as it evaporates quickly and actually works.:w00t:

#6 cardboard

cardboard

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:30 PM

give me a ring ill can call in if u need

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users