Photo
- - - - -

Starter Motor - Been advised to change the Oil Seal?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 terryb

terryb

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Local Club: HAMOC

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:13 PM

Hi All,

Well Jerri is upt to her old tricks again. Got home the other weekend (thanks to the AA). Changed the starter motor for one that I had hanging around (like you do). Great - never done this before so learnt something new! Then I made a fatal mistake of buying some roof racks for her...... Those of you who know Jerri know that everytime I buy something, she breaks.....

Went shopping, tried to go home, not joy, would not start. Had "old man" in Jerri with me, so he checked to battery made sure everything was o.k. - she started. Told me that the battery negative lead was not earthed correctly. So on Saturday sorted this out, but Jerri will not start.

Took of the starter motor again, and went to a local spares shop (they say that they know lots about minis as they used to race them). Anyway the chap said that he can sort out the starter motor for me (and the solinod), but that I need to change the oil seal, as there is lots of oil in the bit of the starter motor that you can see (the bit with the teath on it & and they are worn anyway).

What doe she mean change the oil seal - how do I do this. Does anybody have a reference guide with pics that I can look at?

Thanks for your help..........

Terry & Jerri.

PS thinking of changing her name to Pandora as everytime you open her bonet, something goes wrong, you just have to open it!

#2 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:52 PM

I think he means the crankshaft oil seal ?

#3 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:52 PM

i might be reading his wrong but i think it sounds like he means that oil is leaking into the flywheel housing and onto the starter motor that way.

#4 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Local Club: Milton Keynes Mini Club, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:34 PM

There should be a small hole with a plit pin pokingout the bottom of the transfer housing (bascially in between the block and clutch cover). This hole allows this area to breath, and also allows oil to drain out if there is a crankshadft oil seal leak. If this area feels wet with oil, and there is a patch under this area on the ground, it means your Crankshaft oil seal has gone.

On this end of the engine, crankashaft oil seal and clutch oil seal mean the same thing. If this is leaking oil, I advise to change it ASAP, or its possible for the clutch plate to start slipping.

One eay this leak can happen, is if you put too much oil in the engine. This then leaves less volume in the crankcase, and thererfore the crankcase pressure is higher than normal. It then looks for the weakest pint for the pressure to escape...the seal.

Replacing it is simple, but awquard at the same time!!! If not removing the engine, you need to jack up the clutch side of the engine, remove the clutch cover, flywheel and clutch assembly to get to it.
PM me if you need to chat about it.

John

#5 terryb

terryb

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:18 PM

Hi All,

Well, went to get the refrb starter motor. Told that it was knackered so swooped it for another referb one. Put this on, nothing. Had a play around.

Went to the motor spares and got a relay....... hey it worked........ so at least she now starts........ They also gave me some stuff to put in the engine to help stop the oil leaks. Threw this is as well.

I know, I know, but she is due for her MOT at the end of Jan, so I will get this oil seal changed then.

You never know may have a go at this myself. When I move and hopefully get a house with a garage instead of doing this on the small drive in the cold and wet.

Thanks all.

Terry & Jerri (Pandora in disguise)

#6 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:22 PM

They also gave me some stuff to put in the engine to help stop the oil leaks. Threw this is as well.

Nooooooo!!! :D

Make sure your next service includes good hard oil flush then new gaskets where possible, then refill with some good quality oil.

#7 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:23 PM

its a flywheel and clutch out job so if its out it mite pay to have the clutch plate checked whilst the seal is being done.

#8 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:35 PM

If your taking the flywheel off then fit a new clutch as a matter of course seeing as they are only around £20. At least then it has a new setup in there with a good life expectancy, instead of leaving the old one in that might be nearly dead or contaminated with oil, which would need schanging in a few hundred miles.

#9 terryb

terryb

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:39 PM

Hi All,

Will get them both changed at MOT time then. Only 4 weeks ish away. Just hope that Jerri will behave herself until then.....

Going to print this out and put in my diary and in the car to remind me..........

Am hoping to have some dosh in the 1st quater of next year and plan to have her restored.........

Terry.

#10 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:18 PM

Hi
The clutch oil seal is a mini problem, but you can guard against one way this can happen by not overfilling with oil. I generally keep my engine oil 2/3 way between the min and max marks so there is no danger at all of high crank case pressure.

After the seal has been changed, it also pays to check your crankcase breather system. I have the internal breather system, whereby the oil seperator is connected to the breather valve/inlet manifold via a hose.

An easy way to check it is clear is to remove the hose from the breather valve, and also remove the oil filler cap. Blow through the hose, and if you can breath through OK then this indicates the oil seperator or pipework etc is not blocked!

Anyway, changing the oil seal can be very awquard, getting to two of the clutch cover bolts can be a nightmare!! The actual flywheel/clutch removal for me was more straightforward!!!

#11 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:10 PM

why the above picture? :gimme:

#12 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:54 PM

hmm, if thats the flywheel its awefully lightweight. :S

#13 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 06:13 PM

Oh Sorry!!
I thought I attatched a pic of the items like flywheel etc from my car and showing the engine jacked up to remove oil seal etc. Sorry, but I still cant find that one. I thought the one I posted was it.

Sorry!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users