6 replies to this topic

#1 mini16

mini16

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:44 PM

i have fitted door popper to the mini and wired them into my alarm sysem and all work fine and looks cool specaily when i made my mate sh!t his pans when he cam to my house door and the mini door popped open. the only thing is were can i mount the soloniod as i don't want to let it show and i cant put it on the inside as window will hit it. any ideas?

Edited by mini16, 29 December 2006 - 07:45 PM.

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:50 PM

can it not go at the very bottom of the doors like the central locking kits ?

#3 mini16

mini16

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:52 PM

can it not go at the very bottom of the doors like the central locking kits ?

thats a possibility although i will have to goin a longer cable, AAaa bike gear cable will do got lots of that, yep that will do cheers :)

#4 Gizzum

Gizzum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Local Club: None atm

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:00 PM

The problem you might have by mounting them in the bottom of the door is that you might not get enough pull from the solenoid. I tried this with my kit and it didn't work. I ended up seriously modding the internal door skin and mounting them in line with the lock and they work great... BUT, I now have a solenoid to rest my elbow on when the window is shut. And it hurts like :withstupid: when doing a three point turn and you catch your elbow on it. However, with some fibre glass and a little inspiration I am going to make my own door cards witha nice elbow ridge like modern motors.

Just as an add on... Have you thought about locking yourself out with the keys in the ignition and the engine still running? Not that I have done it about 5-6 times :) . I have fitted push switches under the wing mirrors like the TVR's have and sorted a locking mechanism for the whole lot so that the doors(the switches are active) are unlocked when the engine is running. If you want some circuit diags give me a shout and I will russle some up!

Also, if you have got a spare channel, wire it up to the horn! Hours of amusement when you get bored. Its like watching Beadles About!!! :angel: :gimme: :gimme:

#5 mini16

mini16

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 05:07 PM

The problem you might have by mounting them in the bottom of the door is that you might not get enough pull from the solenoid. I tried this with my kit and it didn't work. I ended up seriously modding the internal door skin and mounting them in line with the lock and they work great... BUT, I now have a solenoid to rest my elbow on when the window is shut. And it hurts like :) when doing a three point turn and you catch your elbow on it. However, with some fibre glass and a little inspiration I am going to make my own door cards witha nice elbow ridge like modern motors.

Just as an add on... Have you thought about locking yourself out with the keys in the ignition and the engine still running? Not that I have done it about 5-6 times :D . I have fitted push switches under the wing mirrors like the TVR's have and sorted a locking mechanism for the whole lot so that the doors(the switches are active) are unlocked when the engine is running. If you want some circuit diags give me a shout and I will russle some up!

Also, if you have got a spare channel, wire it up to the horn! Hours of amusement when you get bored. Its like watching Beadles About!!! :D :ermm: :)

if you wouldnt mind them diagrams would be nice please? also its great as i can set the alarm not beep then pause bit a constant beep on the horn, i can do this on the key fobb very funny. also well loved by the neighbours

#6 mini16

mini16

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:33 PM

had time to think of a plan this morning and took the rest of the day fitting it and making it work now is all in, working great.
Basically the soloniod is in the very bottom of the door with the cable pointing up , the cable then goes through a small hole and around asort of pivit to change from a downward pull to a sideward pull to pull the rod, i then goined the solonoid cable to a bike brake cable by a small thing used to hold cables together very small.

here is a sort of diagram to help sorry about the untidyness done it on paint

the only thing is getting the positive cable from door to car as there is no holes yet

Attached Files

Edited by mini16, 31 December 2006 - 09:04 PM.

#7 Gizzum

Gizzum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Local Club: None atm

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:18 PM

Right, Have finally got a circuit diag for the poppers that will Lock & Unlock the switches under the wing mirrors... If you have them. Another tip. Get some quality weatherproof switches if you are going to do this. Then buy yourself a glue gun, if you haven't already got one, and waterproof the switches after you stick them in. I will get a photo up for you soon as one of my switches has given up the ghost due to water ingress!

Poppers circuit diag

The relays are the noraml automotive type and I used the two that came with the kit. And then bought another for the lock/unlock relay. You can use this as a kill switch as well but I can't remember off the top of my head how I wired it in. Will get at it in the next couple of days to figure it out :D !!

Hope this helps!

Jez

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users