4 replies to this topic

#1 Nic

Nic

Formally known as jonesy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 09:23 PM

i have a 72 1000 and i would like to put a switch and flasher for some hazards as it doesnt have any atm, and they are much safer when u brake down, just wondering if anyone knows how to go about doing that??
cheers

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:15 PM

Wiring in a hazard correctly is fairly complicated as it has to override the indicator circuit.... ( if you look on a more modern mini with hazards you will notice an absolute plethora of wires into the switch ) but in in simple terms(ish)

You'll need a 4x15w flasher unit (two terminal will do), this is wired to the permanent live with an in-line fuse, the output from the flasher then goes to the switch, which needs to be an 6 pole on-on type. The first on state (ie hazards off) is the first intersection into the indicator circuit which is the line from the indicator flasher unit to the indicator switch/stalk... this means when the hazards are off, power is supplied to the indicator switch... the second on (hazards on) position is the feed for the hazards, and hence there should be two lines from this, one into the indicator circuit which provides power to the right, and the other to the left. You will also need a tell-tale which is supplied from this second 'on' position. When in the second on position, the power to the indicator circuit is cut. It is essential that when wiring the feed from the hazard to the indicator circuit that the left and right are kept on separate poles on the switch otherwise you will get all indicators flashing when using the indicators ( when hazards off )

I'd draw a diagram, but if you look carefully in Haynes or workshop manual you will see what I mean...

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 06:16 PM

Or buy a hazard light fitting kit. The original kits made and sold in the 70s for upgrading classic cars are still available. Try Holden Vintage and Classic.

Here's a little linky.

Edited by Dan, 31 December 2006 - 06:16 PM.

#4 Nic

Nic

Formally known as jonesy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 06:22 PM

thx guys i think i will give it a go myself and see what happens!!! :D

#5 Sammy D

Sammy D

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:48 AM

I was thinking of wiring some into my '76 mini, might check out that Halfords kit!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users