4 replies to this topic

#1 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:40 PM

1. my disc brakes seem to have rusty areas then clean areas around the disc face on both sides, although they work fine. should it only be a clean surface? i did leave it for a week without driving it and used it once for 14 miles before the inspection.

2. how can u tell which side to change when a suspected wheel bearing failure? there is no play on both sides but there is a grinding noise when driving (all pads are fine)

#2 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:44 PM

What area of the disks are rusty? If its the surface of the disks then they rust very quickly in the weather we have recently. If you look at a big alloyed car (lots of disk showing) you see that there rust just from the contact of water to the disk. After a mile or so it's all taken off. This is only with surface rust tho. ?If the disks have been sitting in the garden then it's deep rust. If you get me.

#3 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:02 PM

i had another look today and im pretty sure its the bearing, only thing is how to tell which side as i can only hear it when driving.

#4 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:05 PM

jack up both side and wobble the wheel. if u fel wobble and it goes when the brake pedal is pressed its wheel bearing!

#5 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:12 PM

thats the thing. the side (which bearing i recently changed) has ball joint play on the bottom joint and the other side dont wobble at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users