• PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:50 PM

Right

Got Metro 1275 with electronic ignition, (i think) out of my 1989 mini thirty

Put 1987/88 998 in for time being

Cant fathom the wiring, i think i have something missing

Using coil from 1275.

Black and white from coil to dizzy, the rest i cant remember, the mini is at the bottom on the garden and its raining.

Can somebody tell me if im gonna get anywhere with the duccelier coil that the 1275 was running, and a brand new ducellier dizzy for a 998 a+ with points?

no spark what so ever

dont think its wired right

can some one please tell me what needs to be where, and what wires go where?

do i need a wire from the starter solenoid to the coil? because when i checked this, it only had 12v when the engine was turning over on the starter, not when the ignition was simply on. obviously

any help much appreciated

thanks in advance

ed

#2 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:54 PM

Do a search. A 1275 coil on a 998 dizzy isn't the right combo for a start.

Here, click me, I'll do all the leg work for you...

#3 edjohnson

edjohnson

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:07 PM

Thanks

I know it might not be perfect, but i just need to see if the thing runs, before i finish the changeover

yeh i will buy the right coil, but not until i know the engine is sound

so any help in getting me that far would be really appreciated

ed

#4 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:22 PM

why not stick the electronic ign on it?

#5 syholl

syholl

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:27 PM

Well, for starters you need a 12v supply to the + side of the coil. This is from the ignition and should only be live when key is in position 2.

The dizzy should also have 2 wires to it, one to go to the +side of the coil, and one to the -

This should be all you need, but the coil may not be any use...

#6 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 06:03 PM

The first thing to do is take all that Ducellier junk and throw it in the bin.

But I suppose it will be good enough to actually get the engine running.

The wiring harness near the coil should include a Pink/White wire and a Pink/Yellow wire. Both of these need to be connected to the positive terminal on the coil. There should be a couple of White/Black wires also, one is to connect to the dizzy and the other is the tacho trigger wire. Both of these need to be connected to the negative terminal of the coil (well, the tacho one doesn't actually need to be connected at all obviously). One of these as I said should go to the LT side of the dizzy and make sure that everything in the dizzy is connected, including the wiring to the external condenser. Also make sure that the carbon brush is properly earthing the baseplate to the spindle (dodgy Ducellier carp). That's it.

Yes it is correct that the wire from the starter solenoid is only live while the starter is cranking, that's the cranking bypass for the ballast ignition system and is the whole point of ballasted ignition. The Pink/White wire should show something between 9 and 12 volts while the ignition is switched on, if you supply a ballasted coil with 12v it will fail soon and so will your points. There is no difference between the coil for a 998 and a 1275, the only thing that matters is that the coil you are using is designed for ballasted ignition. It will say ballasted or 9 volts or something like that on it if it is.

It seems Jammy is right, I really must do an ignition systems FAQ.

Edited by Dan, 31 December 2006 - 06:04 PM.

#7 edjohnson

edjohnson

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 06:40 PM

Thank you very much you have been most helpful,
My new points dizzy, has only one wire, not two
i shall go try it in the morning, after the hangover subsides

but in the long run, what about puttuing the electric igbition from the 1275 onto the 998?

is it possible?

well i guess it is, but is there a crankshaft sensor needed on the 998??

i cant seem to find one on the 1275, but i thought electric ignition used one?

or is this another sort altogether

thanks again

ed

Edited by edjohnson, 31 December 2006 - 06:41 PM.

#8 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 06:57 PM

There should indeed only be one wire on the dizzy, all the other wires are from the wiring harness. The electronic one you removed will have had more but that's because it's electronic and no other reason.

The electonic ignition from the 1275 will be all wrong for the 998. The system is entirely contained within the dizzy and doesn't use a crank sensor (some do but it's uncommon, mostly it's fuel injection systems that need a crank sensor). Electronically it will work with the 998 but mechanically it won't be great. The advance curve in that dizzy is designed for the 1275 and the unit would need modifying with new springs and weights to work well on the 998 but it can be done and that's what I have on my 998.

The easiest way for you to get electronic ignition on a 998 is to fit a late 998 Lucas dizzy (a 45D4 or a 59D4) from as similar an engine spec to yours as possible and a Lumenition Magnetronic or Aldon Ignitor electronic module to run it. The lumenition one is basically the same electronic module as fitted to the 1275 64DE4 dizzy but re-packaged.

You must have a 12v ignition feed there somewhere which was running the electronic ignition on the 1275 engine. You won't need this with a ballasted CB (contact breaker) ignition system but you can make use of it if you fit a new electronic system, whether you use a ballasted system or not. Ballasted is far better by the way.

#9 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:29 PM

Ed hope you don't mind if I hi-jack the thread for a moment as Dan seems to have the answers :D

I'm going the other way 998 to 1275, mechanical to electronic, I know the disty needs switched live & live from coil. But don't know on the disty which is which. One terminal is facing along the amplifier & the other across can you identify them for me. Also the disty has been removed from the engine, I have put it back in but how to I get it set up for static timing, just getting it somewhere near to get the engine started, I can then strobe it & eventually going to get it rolling roaded once complete.

Sorry for butting in but asked the question in another post & got no replies.

Alan...

#10 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:42 PM

Can't answer off the top of my head but I can check for you tomorrow.

#11 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:59 PM

Can't answer off the top of my head but I can check for you tomorrow.

That would be great if you could thanks

Alan...

#12 edjohnson

edjohnson

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:01 PM

thanks for all your replys

stuffed the old 1275 electronic dizzy on this morning

ran ok

gonna connect all the coolant system properly, put the wheels back on, and swap the manifold for the one with the tapping for the vacuum on the servo doh!! (didnt realise the donor engine had the wrong manifoild on til it was too late.

did they do electronic ignition on 998 metros?

ed

#13 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:48 PM

i have seen one and it looked and worked pretty well, not sure if it was a modified 1275 item tho!!

#14 edjohnson

edjohnson

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:11 PM

well as i said before, the 1275 electronic dizzy seemed to do the job, so for the tuime being ill probably just use that.

has anyone got any ideas what i would need to modify to achieve a more suitable advance curve for my 998 from a 1275 dizzy?

im really keen to keep the electronic ignition now.

but cheeply

ed

#15 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 02 January 2007 - 06:16 PM

IF they are interchangable the weights and springs from a 998 unit!! not su sure they are tho but if your in favour of investicating im sure we would all like to know the outcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users