27 replies to this topic

#1 karl & his cooper

karl & his cooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:40 PM

Hey all, never brought an exhaust before, and I got one for xmas which my neighbour is currently trying to fit, but the bloody mini sport shop didnt offer us the other parts for it to fit!!! I have a sportex one, 2" single with center pipe, The back box and the centre pipe are fine, but there isnt a pipe to take the centre pipe to the exhaust manifold??!! Can someone shed some light, on what I need to buy. I can get a diagram on here lol, its a mini city 1989 998cc.

Thanks
Happy new year

#2 smudger

smudger

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  • Local Club: Lots

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:05 PM

Ahhhh, sounds like you need the "majic pipe" from Maniflow.

also avaible from MiniSport, MiniSpares (contact simon@minispares on here for parts number etc) and avonbar to name a few

#3 karl & his cooper

karl & his cooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:38 PM

Ahhhh, sounds like you need the "majic pipe" from Maniflow.

also avaible from MiniSport, MiniSpares (contact simon@minispares on here for parts number etc) and avonbar to name a few

Thanks, would this one do
http://www.minisport...ex-product.html

Heres the magic pipe
http://www.minisport...-2-product.html

Both are roughly the same price but the other says its high performance, plus its also same brand as my exhaust...?whats the pro's and cons of this.

Here is my exhaust... http://www.minisport...ex-product.html

Will this 2" exhaust sound louder and better than a 1 inch or less pea shooter exhaust with 2 boxes?

#4 smudger

smudger

• Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:13 PM

Whilst it will sound noisy, at 2" internal, it will rob power.

With the LCB, you will need an inlet too, so if you cant afford the inlet etc then just stick with the majic pipe.

#5 karl & his cooper

karl & his cooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:14 PM

Whilst it will sound noisy, at 2" internal, it will rob power.

With the LCB, you will need an inlet too, so if you cant afford the inlet etc then just stick with the majic pipe.

What so my mini will be even more slower :-o :gimme:(
Can you find/show me an inlet to go with that LCB

please.

#6 smudger

smudger

• Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:31 PM

it wont be alot slower, but it will be noisy which i gather is what you want?

as for inlets, just goto MiniSpares (sponsor of this forum) and buy one off them.

I gather its a 998?

If so i would buy a "Cooper" Freeflo manifold, if you cant afford one, save up and buy that and the inlet from Maniflow or MiniSpares (i keep mentioning MiniSpares since as a member you get a discount).

However, just thinking of this, if the link pipe is set up for an LCB you "might" need to trim it to fit.

#7 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:42 PM

and whilst you are at it chuck in an AAU needle because all these mods will change your fueling requirments.

#8 karl & his cooper

karl & his cooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:35 PM

and whilst you are at it chuck in an AAU needle because all these mods will change your fueling requirments.

Whats an AUU needle? Where does it go?! What difference will it make?
Yeah a bit noiser is what I want/

thanlks

#9 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:39 PM

thanlks

AUU needle for the carb, richer so the fueling is .... close enought.

#10 karl & his cooper

karl & his cooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:40 PM

thanlks

AUU needle for the carb, richer so the fueling is .... close enought.

Easy job for someone with mechanical experience, not me my neighbour

#11 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:43 PM

3 screws on the dashpot. Un-do them. Remove dashpot and piston. Grab the piston and look for the big screw in the side. Un-do that then the needle will drop out, grab it and find the spring for it. swap the needle out. put back togehter.

simple.

#12 karl & his cooper

karl & his cooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:53 PM

So this manifold inlet
http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=37259

This needle
http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=36798

The manifold inlet..do I need a LCB to? What is an LCB? and how does it all go together?

Engine exhaust manifold--->manifold inlet--->LCB??---> Sportex centre pipe--->Sportex back box.

This will make my car louder at higher speeds, and pick up speed better at lower revs?? But it will overall affect my performance.

So how can I make my car have better performance, bearing in mind ive got a sportex exhaust

#13 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:09 PM

Right, thats an exhaust manifold. but yes its the one you need. It's a pig to fit so have fun with it.

I used a AAA needle in mine so you might find that needles isn't enought. But you have to try it and get it filed if need be.

Inlest manifold. This depends on the carb you have. Going to go with hs4. so this one should do.

http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=35083

As for "better" perfomance. make sure the engine is working well to start with. good clean plugs. Just give the car a good serive. Then once te exhaust is on take it for a rolling road session as it will run like....well....C**p. After that the next options are de-coke/clean the head out, porting said head, bigger exhaust and inlet valves, weber carb, lump cam, 12g295 head,

.....better yet. Get the vizard book and read that.

edit

LCB manifold by the way is for larger engines. I't's a 2 into 1 setup.

Edited by Big_Adam, 01 January 2007 - 10:13 PM.

#14 karl & his cooper

karl & his cooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:31 PM

Just been reading an article on mini spares about the stage 1 tuning kit, wouldn't this work/have the right parts and be better and just sell the exhaust and used my sportex one?

If I go the other way where I just get the parts to connect to my exhaust- so what parts do I need and where, because my minds all over the place thinking about manifolds and inlets!?!

Option two, Miniflow Magic Pipe? Cheap, easy but wouldnt help boost performance?

#15 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:42 PM

well a stage 1 kit is really just an exhaust and a few other bits. needles, air filter so you've got half that already.

If it's cost that's messing with you then ebay is your friend. I got my cooper freeflow manifold for £2.50 off there. Works lovely, rings a little but still good.

Magic pipe is good if you want to be cheap and have the better look for now, don't know about the performance aspects of it tho.

.......little trick to get some engine noise tho is the old holes in the air box trick. Give a nice growl to the engine from were you'd be. Don't know about outside the car.

Edited by Big_Adam, 01 January 2007 - 10:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users