#1 Ross mini 30

Ross mini 30

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Local Club: bournemouth miniclub

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:10 PM

hi just wondering if anyone else has any troubles with 10 inch wheels?
iv got a set of 10X6 inch revo's and iv gone through 3 tyres in lest than a mounth as the side walls keep bulging,but they only do this on the fronts had no probs with the rears.spoke to a trye garage and they said that its possible down to the suspension as iv got hi lows fitted all round so its slightly stiffer so the tyre is tacking all the shocks.the tyres i am using are the budget falkens at £40ish a tyre any one else had any problems like this,i am thuinking of goin 2 road legal slicks but if it keeps bulging then im not guna be able 2 aford 3 tyres at £70ish every month lol hope some one could help with this.
cheers ross

oh and here is a couple of pics of my car its a 1977 austin mini with a 1275 metro engine with twin su carbs with rampipes,it was my first every project resprayed it myself so not very well done but not bad for a very first attempt.

Attached Files

Edited by Ross mini 30, 03 January 2007 - 07:21 PM.

#2 minidan

minidan

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:20 PM

nope... i cant see any differences...

#3 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:30 PM

Are you sure your not catching them on the arches or something? Quite obviously, something with your setup isnt right....have you had it setup professionally?
Looks great by the way!

Or if the toe in/out is really really bad and not enough tyre pressure maybe??

Edited by TOMMO0302, 03 January 2007 - 07:31 PM.

#4 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:41 PM

tyre pressures shud be 28psi front and 26 rear. if you are runnign higher pressures, that can bulge the sides, so can clipping curbs.

really cant see from the picture tho where the bulges are. i have run falkens for years with hilos and gaz shocks setup low and very hard and had no troubles and believe me i can abuse my tyres, hilos i really wouldnt have thought would put any more stress under the tyre!! maybe extrmely fast cornering would but as i say i havent had any problems and my tyres are a good few years old now!!

Edited by fikus01, 03 January 2007 - 07:45 PM.

#5 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:53 PM

we have never had a problem with mrs bungles 6x10 minilights and falkens :w00t:

#6 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:38 PM

Hi-los wont do anything..... maybe your shocks are dead, i dunno, check tracking and all that gubbins...

#7 Ross mini 30

Ross mini 30

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Local Club: bournemouth miniclub

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:21 PM

not to sure what the psi is at the mo,but iv got new shock just had tracking toe in and all that done and i dont ever hit curbs also its the rears that hit arches on bumps never the fronts as the front is a little higher than the rears,shocks are adjusted to quite a soft setting,guy at the trye place looked at it and said that its had a impact as the beading on the inside of the tyre wall is more than likly broken from a trauma such as a impact of some kind,but like i said iv never hit curbs just lotsa bumps that feel massive in my car but dont exist in a normal car lol,i wouldnt of thought fast cornering would couse bulging in the tyre and if it did i would of thought itl be the left side as i live near alot of fun roundabouts lol cheers for all your help

ross

#8 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:26 PM

Anyone heard about a dodgy bunch of 10" falkens recently?

#9 minisprint

minisprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Local Club: GR8 minis

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:29 PM

not to sure what the psi is at the mo,but iv got new shock just had tracking toe in and all that done and i dont ever hit curbs also its the rears that hit arches on bumps never the fronts as the front is a little higher than the rears,shocks are adjusted to quite a soft setting,guy at the trye place looked at it and said that its had a impact as the beading on the inside of the tyre wall is more than likly broken from a trauma such as a impact of some kind,

ross

maybee the tyres where damage when fitted.sometimes happens on wide rim wheels as they are very tight some times!spoke to the man from mws and he said the 6x10 wheels like yours have been redesigned due to tyre fitting issues!did your wheels come from mws?

#10 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:04 AM

Maybe the tyre monkey has damaged them geting them on the rims. Not un heard of. 10" wheels are the worst for this. The manufacturers that make the bead breakers dont really consider the ten inch wheels, theres not that many on the roads. Some places will just laugh at you and turn you away, others are a bit over zelous and rip holes in the side walls. Is this tyre center the same place you go every time??

If you are having a problem with one make of tyre, try a superior tyre and see what happens then.

Edited by Mini Sprocket, 04 January 2007 - 01:05 AM.

#11 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:47 AM

As I was reading through this topic I was coming to the same conclusion as Mini Sprocket! I have 10" wheels, Hi-los (lowered about 40mm I think) and quite very hard suspension (Spax dampers) and never had a problem with bulging. I'd say try a different tyre monkey (NOT KWIK FIT!) and see how you get on.

Oh, and Yokohama tyres are very good! :w00t: The A032Rs being the best, but very soft and wear quickly, A008s being a good compramise!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users