7 replies to this topic

#1 Maxmini

Maxmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:23 PM

Just fitted my new alternater and I noticed the pulley on the alternater is 4mm out of line with the waterpump pulley. The new alternater had the fan and pulley on it already so do I take of the pulley and put a 4mm spacer behind the pulley to correct.

#2 minimad998

minimad998

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Local Club: not part of a club

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:54 PM

Just fitted my new alternater and I noticed the pulley on the alternater is 4mm out of line with the waterpump pulley. The new alternater had the fan and pulley on it already so do I take of the pulley and put a 4mm spacer behind the pulley to correct.

if I where you I would put spacers behind the pulley if it is dramatically out thats if its possible to (depending on how much thread you have) the last thing you want is loosing your fan belt because it has jumped off the pulley or snapped
but having said that my pulley is out about 2 or 3mm out of line and seems to be ok but i havent run the engine yet (still on the bench)! so its anyone’s guess to what will happen?

#3 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts
  • Local Club: The mini forum - i live here

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:13 PM

well if you have 4mm out then your belt could slip and as minimad says.. you need to correct that

i think your best bet would be as you said to put a spacer behind the pully.. and then you reduce the chance of snapping a belt!

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:28 PM

Obviously it depends on which way you need to move it but the normal thing to do is to move the alternator itself. Use spacing washers behind the front mounting lugs and the rear mounting lug is adjustable as it slides through the body.

Sure you've got all the washers in the right places at the moment? I've never seen one that far out myself.

#5 Maxmini

Maxmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:29 AM

The pulley has to move to the rad side by 4mm there is 4mm thread left on the alternater so I think it will be safe to do. the alternater is in line with the bracket down below so I take it is the right place.

#6 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:17 PM

OK, so there is 4mm of thread left on the alternator shaft, but....

Have you ever taken off an alternator or generator pulley? It's harder than you may think. I use an air powered impact wrench for the task. Lacking that you have to hold the pulley or fan somehow so you can turn the nut. Inevitably this leads to damaged fans and scratched up pulleys.

Dan's suggestion is much easier. Put your 4mm washer/spacer between the alternator and the boss on the water pump where it bolts up. This will move the alternator "forward". Then loosen and move the rear mounting plate where it attaches to the block. It's easy and there's no risk to your alternator.

#7 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:39 PM

Try taking it off and putting washers on to move it further inline with the pulley, there should be washers on anyway but if they arn't fitted that could be the problem.

#8 Maxmini

Maxmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:32 AM

Yes you are right taking the pulley off is hard i.e nut removel unless you have a inpact gun. I can space the alternater as you say first and see what I have to do with the spacer on the block i.e add 4mm of washers to pack it out for me this must be the easy option. Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users