8 replies to this topic

#1 adyzr1

adyzr1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:04 AM

hi my mini is going through the sva test, it needs a collapsible column does anyone know if this exists for a mini , or do i have to retro fit one from another vehicle?

#2 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:25 AM

if i have read the other posts on sva tests correctly you just need one that was designed for the mini. I don't think any mini had collapsable steering columns. As long as it is "type approved" then it should pass. I'm sure Pete or one of the other kit car builders on here will either confirm that or correct me if wrong shortly!

Edited by minimadjonesy, 06 January 2007 - 10:06 AM.

#3 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:27 AM

yep what he said^^^^

pete is the man who knows for defo though. typea pproved parts means that you can use standard mini parts.

#4 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:11 AM

i was reading a book on car safety recently and it actually mentioned the steering column of the mini (amongst other things)

apparently, although it was not designed as "collapsible" it did show characteristics of a collapsible column when in a crash.

an interesting point maybe, but it also confirms the point that they were not designed as collapsible and as far as i'm aware, the only change made to them was the shelf area mounting bracket which was changed to allow fitment of the air bags. i think this was post 1996.

#5 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:38 AM

never seen one on a mini, worked on all from a '59 to a '01 sportspack. never seen a colapsable column unless it was made by the owner.

#6 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:39 AM

I heard in the event of a crash the steering column was designed to pivot about its base (where it connects to the steering rack) and move forwards (towards the windscreen) and away from the driver! With steering column drop brackets you lose this affect!

#7 adyzr1

adyzr1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:15 PM

thanks guys,
the problem i have is that when a mini such as mine is presented for sva , it is not recognised as a mini, because it is classed as an amerture built vehicle(using all new parts), if it were a rebuilt vehicle older than 1990 i could use the standard column,
i am registering it new therefore it is tested on current standards, hence the collapsible section.

thanks for the help everyone, wasnt sure if the mpi had a collapsible column.

#8 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:12 PM

i think a heard of a corsa one being used.

i cant remember what Pete said he was going to use.

have a search in the z cars bit

#9 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:20 PM

I heard in the event of a crash the steering column was designed to pivot about its base (where it connects to the steering rack) and move forwards (towards the windscreen) and away from the driver! With steering column drop brackets you lose this affect!

that's correct, these are the characteristics i was talking about. the steering wheel has the habit of pivoting away from the driver. i guess this is because of the angles involved in it's design, it is a very "up-right" position.

how ever, this is slightly off topic and doesnt help with the original post :'(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users