7 replies to this topic

#1 Richard

Richard

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 05:30 PM

ok i bought a car fitted with a 1275 the previous owner saying the headgasket had gone...
the headgasket looked fine when i got it apart and the head seems flat, however the brass stud thing inbetween 2 and 3 is recessed into the head slightly, this maybe causing a leak between the combustion chambers of 2 and 3,
is the head scrap?
can it be skimmed
the engine ran well before i took it apart, i can get pictures if that would help

rich

Edited by Richard, 06 January 2007 - 05:30 PM.

#2 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 05:33 PM

A head can be skimmed if there is enought material. This involves taking a caliper and dropping it into the oil hole in the top of the head and measuring to see the thickness of the bottom of the head.....if you get me.

A picture of the head would help too. Be easier to make a proper call on it. As I have no idea what brass stuff you on about. The only thing I can think of thats bass on a head are the plugs for some of the waterways.

#3 Richard

Richard

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 05:40 PM

A picture of the head would help too. Be easier to make a proper call on it. As I have no idea what brass stuff you on about. The only thing I can think of thats bass on a head are the plugs for some of the waterways.

yes its the brass things visible on the face of the head will get a picture in a moment

#4 Richard

Richard

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 05:59 PM

here is some pictures, as you can see the brass part is recessed slightly :withstupid:

Attached Files

Edited by Richard, 06 January 2007 - 06:01 PM.

#5 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 06:02 PM

ooow. It's one of the core plugs.

May I ask did you do a compression test before you took it apart. I mean I can see how it might allow for gasses to past between the two as its right on the edge of the gasget seal ring bits (I have no idea what their called).

..think your going to have to wait for someone wiser and older to come along and shine some light on the problem.

Sorry I'm not of great help.

#6 Richard

Richard

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 06:03 PM

didnt do a compression test, ballz have a good tester aswell

#7 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 06 January 2007 - 06:10 PM

well a skim to make sure everything is true and flat cant hurt. i've seen 1 of them corrode before but it was blowing all the water out of the engine!!

#8 Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 06:58 PM

If the plug moved once it will move again.
If you skim it like it is and try to use it, the plug will probably move again.
If you have a shop that can replace the plugs then it will need skimmed anyway after it's installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users