4 replies to this topic

#1 rocket-GT

rocket-GT

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 04:51 PM

I have a couple of questions revolving around gearboxes that I hope someone will be able to answer for me.

1. Can an older remote change box be fitted to a mark3 and later shell ?
2. Can the diff housing and therefore tunnel attachment of a remote change box be fitted to a later gearbox ie are the 'boxes all the same casting and just the diff housings different ?
3. The reasons behind this are that the older remote (tunnel) change boxes are stronger and make the engine rock back and forth less than the newer rod change type due to the additional fixing points.

Anyone got any opinions on this ??
Or experience ??

Cheers

#2 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 04:56 PM

1. not sure but it will be a very minor amount of adjustment needed.so i would say yes it is possibe.

2.a remote change casing wont fit a rod chage box.

3. give it a go.

#3 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 04:56 PM

and minimad me is going to do the oppositeto you

#4 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 08 January 2007 - 04:57 PM

I have a couple of questions revolving around gearboxes that I hope someone will be able to answer for me.

1. Can an older remote change box be fitted to a mark3 and later shell ?
2. Can the diff housing and therefore tunnel attachment of a remote change box be fitted to a later gearbox ie are the 'boxes all the same casting and just the diff housings different ?
3. The reasons behind this are that the older remote (tunnel) change boxes are stronger and make the engine rock back and forth less than the newer rod change type due to the additional fixing points.

Anyone got any opinions on this ??
Or experience ??

Cheers

1. I guess so, but early MKIIIs had remote boxes too (like mine). You would have to mod the later, squarer tunnel to suit, obviously. It would just need mounting points sorting and possibly the hole for the stick reshaping.

2. Don't think so. I think the whole selector mechanism is different, there are definitely different castings too.

3. I think most peoples opinions are that the later boxes are stronger internally, and therefore the better option. You may get less engien movement with a remote box, but I'd rather have stronger gearbox internals. Hence my swap from remote to rod.

#5 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:05 PM

You can always fit more engine steady's :(

Presumably the earlier casings are rarer as well should yours crack....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users