2 replies to this topic

#1 aussie mini

aussie mini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:50 AM

Hi all, im Bryan and live in Melbourne in Australia. I cam accross this site by chance and after reading through a lot of posts i thought i would join up and add my 2 cents (err sorry pence) worth :)

I am restoring a 1964 morris 85o (Australian built) at the moment. Not into keeping it original... thats for the next time in 10 or so years!! Ive had the car for about 4 years (mabey closer to 3) and have had it off the road under a full resto for the past 12 months.

I bought the car in Perth (Western Oz) and drove it to Melbourne without touching it really! Thats about 4500 kilometers or 2000 miles!! Since then i have done a trip up to the north eastern tip of Oz (another 4500km each way) and back to Melbourne. I figure cars a re built to be driven and the mini is just so much fun!

My car has had a few lives in its 43 years and when i got it it was red wut a white roof... the paint was eons old and powdery but at the time all i had the cash (and) time to do was a quicky respray in the back yard with the help of my flatmates! The result was something quite radical!! That stuck for a couple of years and now im doing something more readical!!! Giving the Union Jack paint job a new twist!! (showing the cars heritage).

here is a pic of the Express as it was when i first got her!(I call her the Nullarbor Express ... the nullarbor is a desert in Oz that i had to cross to go from Perth to Melbourne)
Posted Image

and then after the back yard paint job!
Posted Image

On the trip north
Posted Image

and finally a taste of the rebuild.... this is the union jack paint job....
Posted Image

Well thats enough of an introduction... I am going to put a topic in the restoration or members gallery pages that is a full wrap of my resto to date, hope you can check it out and look forward to some feedback.

Cheers Bryan

#2 Modmobile

Modmobile

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:08 AM

Welcome to the forum!
That's absolutely cracking! I quite liked the backyard respray too :) It must be fab driving your mini across such a huge landscape.

#3 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:44 AM

What a great story. The pioneering spirit! And no half measures on the paint jobs either. Look forward to the project pages with plenty of pictures! (I never read much as a lad, just looked at the pictures.) PM sent. :)

*Edit* Ooo you must have read my mind. I've just opened the project section. It's like Aladdin's cave in there!

Edited by Teapot, 10 January 2007 - 11:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users