#1 1380gtr

1380gtr

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:34 PM

Hi all,

On my hillclimb car, the rad is front mounted like that behind the clubman grill:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now as I'm going to seven port the rad will be on the road of the air flow so I was thinking of making it go lower

like marked in red on this pic.....

Will it be possible, without entraving the water flow, isn't there a swirl pot or something like that necessary?

If you have advices and maybe pics of cooling systems...

Thanks a lot

Attached Files

#2 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:38 AM

old car, metro radiator sat on top of the front subby with a leccy fan on the front of it. didn;t hane problems with it or cut any extra holes in the clubby front.
Posted Image

My new setup, seems to be running fine aswell, sits at 80deg with no fan on although it's still cold out but should cope with the summer easily.
Just realised its not the mpi radiator in the pic, that had a hole in it so i fitted the metro rad off me old car with the mpi fan.
Posted Image

#3 1380gtr

1380gtr

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:57 PM

thanks for your infos bud66, and you have nothing like swirl pot...?

I will try to lower it to allow the head to breath fresh air so...

#4 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:07 PM

Arent swirl pots just to increase the coolant systems capacity ? And where originally for another purpose (swirling fuel around iirc!)

#5 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:16 PM

swirl pots for fuel were something to do with heavy cornering i believe!! you wont need one, as long as u can get water to it, thru it and back from it i cant see there being any problems especially as u have a header tank.

have u thought about using an original mini radiator(special 2 core) and mounting it at the front jsut as far over as u can to avoid the webbers or even putting an airbox on the front of the carbs to move air pickup to somewhere else?? maybe remove a headlight and have air intake there??

also if u use a mini rad u could get a blanking cap and let any air, vent from it up to the header tank as a self bleed!!

Edited by fikus01, 11 January 2007 - 05:20 PM.

#6 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:46 PM

thanks for your infos bud66, and you have nothing like swirl pot...?

I will try to lower it to allow the head to breath fresh air so...

nope no swirl pot dude, no heater either. Just the top hose from the stat housing with the old heater take off on the head T pieced back into it, then the bottom hose feeding the pump and the header tank feeding into the bottom hose too.

#7 benny boy

benny boy

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:38 PM

I am waiting on my Alloy cut down miglia rad to pitch up from Radtec.
I use a swirl pot. Theyre supposed to spin the water and separate air bubbles out (like a centrifuge?) and ensure air isn't sucked through into the system. An air pocket against a pot wall would heat up so quickly, you'd be in the cat litter before you knew it!
It does increase coolant capacity and is also a useful high point in the system for bleeding and filling it up too!

If you run a carbon or grp front end, you maybe able to fit it in front of the subframe, or have a low depth custom rad made up. Either way,
its worth heat shielding the carbs & inlet manifolds. Maybe an electric fan to push/pull air out the front to keep the engine bay happy?
No one likes a soggy start up the hill after queueing for ten minutes!

Nice looking car anyway!

BB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users