9 replies to this topic

#1 mini73

mini73

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:22 PM

Hi all my name is rob and i need help in fixing my mini! i put my foot on the brake pedal car breaks fine but no brake lights working! ive checked all bulbs fuses all other lights working??? any help is greatly appreciated, regards rob hi to all members! nice finding a site where poeple are willing to help.

#2 robson

robson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:23 PM

nice name ;) welcome to TMF. Have you checked the terminals of the brake light switch? Located at the top of the brake pedal itself? Either that or the switch itself has gone

#3 mini73

mini73

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:26 PM

no but i will, is it easily accesible? cause with all minis theres loads of room and im 6'2" tall great fun, cheers for the help!!

#4 robson

robson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:35 PM

you can quite easily see the connectors. Might be an air vent in the way but maybe not, i dont have them fitted anymore so i cant remember. Might be worth taking the switch off and testing it with a multimeter

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 03:06 PM

Depends what Mini you have. Why does no-one ever put the age or type of their car when they ask questions? All Minis are not the same! Early cars have a hydraulic brake light switch threaded into the brake union on the front subframe by the clutch. Later cars have a switch mounted to an adjustable bracket by the brake pedal. Either switch can fail as Robson says above and the later one can also shift as the bracket is adjustable and so can move about. So if you have the late type check that the switch doesn't simply need adjusting before replacing it but if you are called Mini73 because you have a '73 Mini then you will have the hydraulic type switch in the engine bay which was fitted until the major overhaul of the elctrical system in '76.

#6 mini73

mini73

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 03:28 PM

my mini is a 1986 c reg with the switch type on it. just swapped one from my other 1988 e reg mini and still not working, all bulbs are working, all fuses changed now, lights and hazards all ok, indicators all ok!! but still no brake lights ???????? very puzzling this, i hate electrics, no 73 is my year of birth!! and i own a mini, cheers rob.

#7 mad4mins

mad4mins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Local Club: WAMO!

Posted 13 January 2007 - 03:51 PM

you should try posting this in the Technical Problems area, if you still have no joy..

#8 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:36 PM

Moved.

#9 mini73

mini73

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 07:34 PM

hi all many thanks for all your help in resolving this matter after a cold whole sat trying to fix this, it all came down to a.........................................................................of all things.............................................a fuse, hahahahahahaha i hear you all say, i replaced the dead fuse with of all things a dead fuse!!!!!!!!! but hey all done and dusted now, just the problems with my wheels rubbing now!!! cheers regards rob.

#10 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 07:34 PM

Then as I said, you need to try adjusting the switch. Loosen the nut holding its bracket to the pedal box and slide the switch away from the brake pedal until the lights come on. You can then set the position where the lamps come on relative to how far you move the pedal. First though, take the connectors from the switch and short them together. With the ignition on this should bring the brake lamps on constantly. If they still don't light up then the problem is not with the switch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users