baker_boy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Local Club: "wot no brakes"

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:38 PM

hi all,

iv been thinking about this for a little while now as iv finished my mini project last year (with the help of my dad) and
as i love these little cars i thought about putting the engine in a mini, i dont have a renult engine yet and i
dont have a projet car yet, should have by the end of the year tho...

anywho, is it possible?anyone ever done one?

i thought it would be good as there only little engines and fairly rapid for the size...

any help/thoughts/ideas are welcome..

thanks

dave

#2 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:38 PM

Ive thought about this conversion. Would be amazing if you did it!

Ive got a mate with an R5 turbo, I love it when he drives me somewhere!

#3 Major Burkenshaw

Major Burkenshaw

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Local Club: Brighton mini club

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:47 PM

They can be problematic with head gasket failure and overheating, but i'd say go for it B)

#4 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:23 PM

Whats the point in taking out an ancient push rod engine and replacing it with another?

There are FAR better engines out there :D

#5 baker_boy

baker_boy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:24 PM

thanks for the replies,i think ill deff go for it but it wont be till the best part of the end of the year, yeah a friend used to av one aswell i loved it :D
thats true sam but..ones never been done as far as i know and for insurance reasons thier slighly cheaper than 1600/2.0l conversions, yeah it has a turbo aswell but, youve gotta admit it would sound awesome!and it would go some aswell, you could prob get more horses out of a 5live than a mini turbo engine??
just thought id go for something different instead of following the crowd and goin for a vaux. and honda conversion..not sayin thats bad but id personally like something different..
and in the near future id like to have a honda conversion aswell! :(

dave

#6 lee439

lee439

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:30 PM

hi ,

good idea sounds good my mate had one of them it really shifted for the size of the lump you could try the diy frame from 16vmini its probably ideal for this sort of thing he is also on this forum

lee

subframe

http://www.16vminish...products_id=142

#7 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:34 PM

When modifying a car its a case of each to there own. So people change the wheels and head unit and thats about it. Others put in massive I.C.E. systems that make your ears bleed. Then there are the few that do an engine conversions.

What type of conversion doesnt matter. And the fact that he wants to do something different to his car is fantasic.

If we all did the same it would get really boring really fast!

Good on you son!

#8 baker_boy

baker_boy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:19 PM

thanks, theres some really encouraging comments, which is nice..thanks lee439 ill take that into consideration, a bit more than i wanted to spend but iv taken note of it,
and thanks bounce, very valid comment :D thanks for the motivation
also does anybody know if you can make or is in production a 4wd kit?if not well make one but just seein if anybody has any info on 1,

thanks

dave

#9 v8mini

v8mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Local Club: Minis on the run

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:51 PM

i'm sure iv'e heard that a bloke in the oxford area is doing a renult turbo conversion. he's doing some body repairs to a fellow club members pick up. will have to see if i can find out more. (probably wont be for a while )

#10 who_loves_the_mini?

who_loves_the_mini?

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:14 PM

what about fitting the engine out of an rx7? only 1.3 but make about 300bhp and rear wheel drive, more than enough in a mini

#11 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:55 AM

They are not 1.3!!! They are 2.6!

#12 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:06 AM

They are Wankel engines, they have a theoretical equivalent engine CC or something daft.

The Renault 5 engine idea, well yeah, you could find a better engine to put in there, but if it's what you want to do then you should go for it! :D

#13 who_loves_the_mini?

who_loves_the_mini?

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:51 PM

arent they classed as 1.3 or something but because of the wankel design they have a much higher capacity? all the people on the rx7 forum in the states say they are 1.3, so i presumed they were

#14 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:28 PM

Well you can't say they are 1.3 but have a higher capacity! The 1.3 is the capacity. Its something like there are two rotary combustion chambers, and each one is 1.3 litres in capacity. Its like calling a 998 a 250cc engine, because each combustion chamber is 250cc!

#15 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:57 PM

what about fitting the engine out of an rx7? only 1.3 but make about 300bhp and rear wheel drive, more than enough in a mini

i love it when people say that. albeit a little true.. the novelty still hasnt worn off.

From what i understand, if you measure the rotary engines capacity as you would a normal engine.. then the result would be 1300cc as thats the unitary capacity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users