#1 bjd8747

bjd8747

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:40 AM

Hi,
I had problems getting my '79 Clubman through its MOT because of excess brake pedal travel. I had the pads and master cylinder replaced and then the system bled by a professional. Now, after a couple of months I'm back to square one with a really soft brake pedal. Looking at the rubber flexible pipes between where the brake pipes exit the bulkhead and enter the drums, they appear to have lots of fine cracks in them as if they are perishing. My questions are this: Are these cracks likely to be the cause of air getting into the system? and, are they straight forward to replace?

Many thanks for ideas and suggestions!

#2 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:48 AM

Sounds like a silly question. But have you had the drums off?
The rear cylinders are one of the main causes for a soggy brake pedal.

Other than that, it could well be leaky lines. But if you havnt already, i recomend checking the rear cylinders.

#3 bjd8747

bjd8747

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:39 AM

Hi,
Thanks for replying. Do you mean checking to see if anything is leaking? I haven't had the drums off since the guy at the garage put them back together again.

#4 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 25 January 2007 - 06:26 AM

I doubt the cracks would let air in as the fluid would leak first. Your flexi pipes should be replaced anyway if they are perished.
Maybe replace with some steel braided ones as an upgrade.
Is it drums all round? if so have tried adjusting them as they may have bedded in after being fitted.
Play on wheel bearings can also contribute to a poor pedal.

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:53 AM

If you're on drums you should be checking your brake adjustment at least every month anyway.

#6 bjd8747

bjd8747

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:26 AM

Thanks again for all the replies. To be honest, Audrey (I didn't pick the name!) hasn't been on the road for a while, mainly because I've been enjoying the warm weather and using my motorbike. I'm not sure that the drums would need adjusting that much, but I'll check tomorrow.
Is changing the brake lines a difficult job? I know that it has three spanners in the Haynes manual, but that seems to be quite variable!

Any tips and hints gratefully accepted.

#7 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:56 AM

not just taking them off thats hard. It' s the not twisting the copper lines thats a pain in the arse.

#8 chrisg

chrisg

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:41 PM

hey
one of the mini mags has a tech section on fitting new break lines this month might help you out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users