6 replies to this topic

#1 Jumpinjacks

Jumpinjacks

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:33 PM

I have recently put in another engine as my old engine was buggered but I have starting problems with it. I have tried many things but can't figure out what the problem is. Please see the last two pages of the following thread to see what I have tried and what I may be able to do from here. I no longer need to know the firing order or have a problem with fuel pumping through as mentioned in the title so please ignore this.
I thought that maybe I should start another thread as I no longer have the problems mentioned in the title and was worried that people wouldn't read it as the problem was solved.
The Thread is: http://www.theminifo...x...40451&st=15
Please help in any way you can think of.
Thanks

#2 nomininolife

nomininolife

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Mates

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:49 PM

Following on from your last post, are the plugs wet? and have you done a compression test?

David

#3 Jumpinjacks

Jumpinjacks

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:03 PM

Following on from your last post, are the plugs wet? and have you done a compression test?

David

TBO I haven't actually checked if the plugs are wet or not but I definatly will do.
How can I do a compression test?

#4 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:31 PM

ok ive had a quick check through, when you had the timing set, how did you know you were on compression stroke for no 1.

to check remove the rocker cover, if both srings are up then you are on compression, if one is down your on exhaust.

otto's cycle induction comression power exhaust.

then check your leads again. also the firing order going the right way, if your not sure, best way to check is to remove the dizzy cap and turn the engine over seeing which way it turns.

see how you get on

#5 Jumpinjacks

Jumpinjacks

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:54 PM

ok ive had a quick check through, when you had the timing set, how did you know you were on compression stroke for no 1.

to check remove the rocker cover, if both srings are up then you are on compression, if one is down your on exhaust.

otto's cycle induction comression power exhaust.

then check your leads again. also the firing order going the right way, if your not sure, best way to check is to remove the dizzy cap and turn the engine over seeing which way it turns.

see how you get on

Ok I will have a look again. I lined up the notch on the bottom wheel below the alternator with the top mark on the engine as I thought this is supposed to be TDC, Also I tried to get a scewdriver down the hole where the spark plug goes and it wouldn't go down at all, I then put the dizzy on like this and it only went on one way and wouldn't go in any other way. Is this right?
I take it the engine turns anti clockwise as I put the leads on in this order

#6 Jumpinjacks

Jumpinjacks

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:14 PM

Just been speaking to a local lad who used to have Mini's and he reckons the starter motors gone and it is a common problem with minis. But the engine does turn over fine and did start and run before as said.
Does this sound right to you?

#7 Jumpinjacks

Jumpinjacks

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:36 PM

Right have just poured some ptrol into the head to see if it would fire, and it did fire. So I then put some petrol down into the carb through the air filter manifold on the back and it didn't fire at all.
What could this be? Why is the fuel not getting into the head?
I thought maybe the piston on the dashpot could be sticking or something and not allowing any fuel in, but then the fuel did drain down that I put in the air filter manifold so it can't be surely.
What do you guys think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users