3 replies to this topic

#1 danccooke

danccooke

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:55 PM

i replaced the clutch and primary oil seal, once all back together i couldn't get the mini into gear, assuming it was the push stop thingy, i adjusted it out so that the arm could push as far as it wanted to still no joy.

Bled the system, no joy.

replaced the Slave cylinder this morning, still no joy. bled again and getting air in the system.
Have picked up a master cylinder, and am hoping to fit that in the morning, if i am still having no joy i am stuck, really stuck.
When engine is stopped i can put in gear, when engine running i can't get into any gear (except revers with a bit of grinding, ooops. the clutch wasn't disconnecting properly as she wanted to reverse a little too.) I am guessing that i have replaced the clutch correctly, and it must be hydraulic...................

well that was the story before saturday.

I have now replaced the
friction plate,
pressure plate,
primary oil seal,
thrust bearing,
slave cylinder,
master cylinder,
Keyed washer (the other was knackered)
crank shaft bolt,

TNA i cannot get the clutch to fully release, i can now get the car in gear when running (but on axle stands, not on the hard)

we (an uncle who has had mini's forever) then put the existing pressure plate back on, and the original slave cylinder, and thrust bearing etc.

basically the only thing that is now changed is the master, friction plate and the primary oil seal, keyed washer, bolt

I AM STUCK, i don't know what to do. i have exhausted my limited knowledge and my uncles quite vast knowledge.

please someone help please please please i need the car back on the road ASAP

#2 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:28 AM

ok im going with definately clutch cylinder not bleeding properly!! is the arm moving properly when the pedal is pressed?? the master cylinders often get gunk clogging their internals and not letting more fluid pass and i've had the pistons sticking in them before too so changing that is always an option!! often tapping it will free it all up tho!!

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 29 January 2007 - 07:55 AM

anyone checked to see if the clutch release bearing has collapsed ?

#4 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Local Club: Milton Keynes Mini Club, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:42 AM

Been there done that, and had that problem!

if you replace the friction plate, pressure plate etc, you should ensure that when the driving straps are secured, they are parellel with the flywheel. This is important because this will give the pressure plate its maximum "throw" when the plunger moves to disengage the clutch.

If you have changed any parts and find the straps are not parallel, you may need to adjust the setup by machining or using inserts (I am not quite sure on that however).

Is it verto, or non-verto? Also, check for play in the linkages from the slave cylinder, to the ball end of the clutch arm and plunger. These can all add up to the clutch plate not being fully disengaged.

It is also worth checking the clevis pin on the clutch pedal. Get a torch, and shine it under the dash to see the clutch pedal clevis (connects to master cyllinder). If yo can move the clutch pedal up by kmore than 8mm, and the clevis doesnt move, it means there is also wear in that area and it is worth sorting that out.

Basically, it is important to eliminate any play in any linkages in the system as these can all add up to more than 1mm less release of the clutch plate.

Hope this helps. PM me if you want and I will give u contact details to help you through it.
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users