#1 JoeBodge

JoeBodge

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:36 PM

right - ive done a search - but no one else seems to hav the same prob as me.

my boot was leakin water in - so i changed the seal to a later on body type - but the boot is a really really tight fit - i can get it to shut - but then if you tap the boot lid - it pops open.

do i need new gaskets on the hinges? or a new lock?

Thanks

#2 nomininolife

nomininolife

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Mates

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:14 PM

This is normal for the boot seal, I suspect that because you tap the lid and it falls open, is because you are not getting past the seal with the lock mechanism.

When we get the warmer weather back, the seal will form its shape and will be easier to shut.

David

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:52 PM

Yeah new boot seals are really tight. Try taking the latch off the boot lid and adding a washer under each mounting screw to space it away from the bootlid further. That will give you more slack for the time being and as the new seal beds in you can take the washers out again. Or try heating it all round with a hairdryer (don't use anything more powerful like a paint stripper, rubber burns well) to get it nice and warm and then latch the boot up. Leave it like that for a week before opening it and it should be fine from then on.

#4 JoeBodge

JoeBodge

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:23 PM

the boot catch is catching on the catch inside the boot - but still pops open???? and there is a gap on the n/s at the top - but not on the o/s ????

#5 nomininolife

nomininolife

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Mates

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:15 PM

Our seal is exactly the same, I fitted ours around a month ago. It too moves the bootlid out on the n/s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users