4 replies to this topic

#1 Nic

Nic

Formally known as jonesy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:06 PM

i have read and been told that minis twin carbs mount at 30 deg and other a series engines are 20. so appatley you need to get a mini manifold to use carbs from a none mini engine. i thought that as long as the float chambers were flat they would work. i got a mini manifold a bingley but my carbs are from an mg, when i offer them up to the head on the mg manifold they sit flat, so did i just waste my money getting another?? also the float chambers are adjustable arnt they so why would it matter??? can anyone explain this to me as im starting to get very stuck.

#2 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:37 PM

ive got two differant twin manifolds in the shed at the moment, one from a mini and the other from i don't know. i will have a look at the angles, at some stage, but it might not be for a few weeks as i go away soon for a week, pm me in about 10 days if you dont get an answer to remind me

#3 Nic

Nic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:51 PM

hi,
thanks
does anyone else know please?

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:20 PM

The reason they are at a different angle is that if they are mounted on the MG manifold in a Mini they will colide with the bulkhead (or the air filters will at least). They need to be higher to clear it. Of course they sit level if they are on the MG manifold, they are MG carbs. They always need to be level whatever car they are on so an MG manifold will hold carbs setup for an MG level, a Mini manifold will hold carbs setup for an MG at 10 degrees. You need to use the Mini manifold AND set the carbs up for a Mini by using 30 degree float bowl spacers. Contact Burlen Fuel Systems, you need two different ones as they are handed left and right (the same spacer put on the wrong side will hold the bowl at 10 degrees because they are also used in an Austin Healey or something) so make sure you get a pair. I think they should be red and blue ones.

Oh and trust me, it does make a difference. Having previously spent two years on and off trying to get a pair of carbs that I was assured were setup for a Mini running properly before discovering they were built with MG parts I can say beyond question that they work far better when assembled properly. Incorrect float bowl angle gives poor starting, bad idle and low speed performance and makes the mixture just always wrong unles you get a custom needle to correct for it. Never fixes the starting or idle though.

Edited by Dan, 02 February 2007 - 07:24 PM.

#5 Nic

Nic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:42 AM

thanks very much now i see why!!!
will get some float bowl spacers and put em in during the rebuild.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users