15 replies to this topic

#1 blister

blister

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:11 PM

i have 998cc mini with stage one and race clutch i want to get as much power out of it with just changing parts over has anyone got any ideas

also has any one got any pictures of there
center oil pick up lead
magnetic oil trap oil coolers
petrol pumps

#2 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:55 PM

Did you ever loose them 1.5 ratio rockers of yours? That might help.

Also a nice lumpy cam or a 266 (I think) cam with a 12g295 head. Next would be maybe a lightweight fly wheel. Fuel pump I would not worrie about so much now.

As for your little parts list, an oil cooler on a mild engine such as your is a slightly bad idea as the oil would take an age to get to a good temp.

hmm...what else. Oh, before you do anything just get the car in good working order. Make sure everything is tip top and get David Vizard How to tune the A-Series engine. Should give you a few idea.

#3 minimarco

minimarco

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:58 PM

..... and get David Vizard How to tune the A-Series engine. Should give you a few idea.

you should be tmf's vizard junior :wub: , we could call you viju

#4 blister

blister

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:47 PM

would it be a good idea to have my head modifed or to just purchase a 12g295 head what sort of power gain would i get from using a standard 12g295 head

#5 stellis

stellis

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Local Club: either stafford minis or minis on the chase

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:24 PM

ello, i got a 998, it gots a high cam in it, thnk a 276 , diff head, and basic stage on kit, i tuning my 998, prob not wise but ah well, im tryin to get hold of some forged cranks soon, and a new cylinder head, my try teh mini speed, or sport stage three head??!!, not sure, then the lighted flywheel aswell

#6 blister

blister

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:35 PM

i want to get about 70 bhp on my 998 on a low budget of like 500 what is my best option
how much would it cost to get my head taken to the spec of stage 4 rally

#7 mad4mins

mad4mins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Local Club: WAMO!

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:46 PM

ahh the small bores!!! yeah got 998 in mine, with a 266 kent cam and a 12g940! head, inlet, lcb exhaust!! and the rest is pretty much standard for now.. if you want to fit a 1275 head you will need to pocket the block and do a couple of other water way mods.. (have a search on here for threads this has come up so many times).. but i think you'd be hard pressed to get 70 at the wheels.. ive got 65.3 at the flywheel and *cough 34.7 cough* at the wheels (bad gearbox!! which blew up!!).. i think the lightned flywheel is a good idea and somthing which i will be doing.. and also recommend changing the diff....hope this helps.

#8 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:39 PM

70 at the wheels is mini7 territory, and thats definately not a budget of £500!! you'll lose most of that budget on the set of racing bolts to hold it all together!! to give u an idea a standard 1275 mg metro engine puts out 72bhp@crank and 52ish bhp at the wheels!! to get over 70 at the wheels you're looking at about £500 with a 1275, for a 998 unless you just supercharge it your budget will be eaten up very fast!

not trying to desuade you, i have a modified 1098 (long stroke 998) and it has a kent 266 cam, and modified cooper head and i get 54bhp@wheels and thats as fast as a good injection cooper.

at most id say with £500 you'll get the same as me, depends how much u want to spend on cylinder head work, i have a 1300mg inlet valve in my cooper head which helps, plus compression is about 11:1(very high for a mini engine) and the ports have been opened up and pushrod holes sleved, etc etc, basically a race head. even got shortened bronze guides and 3 angle valve seats. the head work is about £300 to me on its own and im friends with the guy that did it! to a regular customer thats your £500 gone!!

#9 minimarco

minimarco

• Members
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:46 PM

would it be a good idea to have my head modifed or to just purchase a 12g295 head what sort of power gain would i get from using a standard 12g295 head

i think it would be better to modify a stock head to stage 3. because 12g295s are old and are usually worked on, and they are weaker.

12g940 (1275) head on a small bore is too big. its power is at the top end wheres as a stg3 sb head is more spread out through the revs.

a swiftune cam would be nice

if you want power to the wheels then straight cut gears is a must

#10 JetBLICK

JetBLICK

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Local Club: myspace.com/worcesterretro

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:06 AM

ive got 65.3 at the flywheel

not trying to desuade you, i have a modified 1098 (long stroke 998) and it has a kent 266 cam, and modified cooper head and i get 54bhp@wheels and thats as fast as a good injection cooper.

GGGGrrrrr, this annoys me, yet is a lesson learned. I went for a 286 cam, naively thinking that the more lairy the better. So far i've only got 63hp (44 at the wheels) out of it. The lesson here kids is don't go for a cam that is too lairy without other mods to back it up otherwise you loose potential power. The 286 cam is a very racy cam in a 998, but, without the lightening and balancing modifications the revs are not as high as they could be. Hense the full power potential of the cam is not realised.

Yea anyways, so 998 on a bugdet - thats what i did, looky on my project for a breakdown of the total cost (click the siggy) Cost was saved imensly by doing work myself. But then i also kinda got carried away when i fell in love with the twin carbs, when a HIFF44 would have sufficed. But anyhoo the total cost of mine was £700ish, but if you look at the brakedown of the cost, it includes bits you already have like a stage 1 kit, and bits you don't necessarily need, like the GT gearbox and short FD.

Anyways yea, 998's will be the way forward but at the end of the day you gotta be realistic about their potential power.

Dan :wub:

Edited by JetBLICK, 08 February 2007 - 01:08 AM.

#11 cap'n crunch

cap'n crunch

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Local Club: .

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:19 PM

i have a modified 1098 (long stroke 998) and it has a kent 266 cam, and modified cooper head and i get 54bhp@wheels and thats as fast as a good injection cooper.

whats that at the flywheel?

#12 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:50 PM

no the clue was in what i had written "54bhp@wheels " see at the wheels, no it wasnt on baldwins, its not corrected on some strange percentage chart, my 1098cc engine with several mods has 54bhp at the wheels. got very similar readings on 2 dynos. 54bhp on one that has a good reputation for its acuracy (mowatts in essex) and 50bhp on another that is knows for being a little stingy with its numbers (nitrous solutions). <in the voice of elvis> aah thankyou very much.

if you disbelieve me you shud see the work that was done on the head. pure artwork!

#13 cap'n crunch

cap'n crunch

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Local Club: .

Posted 10 February 2007 - 03:17 PM

i think we have misunderstood each other i know it's 54bhp at the wheels.

"whats that at the flywheel?" as in what was the Bhp at the flywheel. Not "whats that, at the flywheel?"

:( (i think....... :xxx: )

#14 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 04:13 PM

the way flywheel BHP is done I do belive that that the engine is revved up to a speed then allowed to engine break back down. Something like that, go watch the top gear ep with the cheap old supercars.

#15 cornflakes5210

cornflakes5210

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Local Club: sws south wales scoobys

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:56 AM

right just been reading this topic and would like to know what sort of power i will be getting from my engine just a rough guide would be good. so far ive bought a sw5 cam' 12G295 stage 2 (came with rockers and springs not sure witch ones) tuned head and a 1.1/2 carb with minisport inlet manifold. what im getting next is a new manifold not sure which one yet. ive bought a supersport exhaust which is 2 inch but i want to fit a smaller diameter link pipe to create some back pressure. (would that be a good idea or not) then dont know where im going from there ideas would be helpful
so far all this cost me less than 200 quid

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users