Bigmadbasturd

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Local Club: uR mA

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:20 PM

as above its getting worse and worse and only happens when its warm tks

am no mechanic but im pretty sure this is wut is wrong. i drawed you a dagram so u git wut am talking about. bassicly when ur engen heats up the cable with the key on it expands so it doesnt make contact with the engen so u cool the cable with water or snow and it makes contact

Attached Files

#3 Sammy D

Sammy D

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:25 PM

That is the worst diagram I have ever seen.

Sounds like maybe a timing problem.

#4 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:34 PM

as above its getting worse and worse and only happens when its warm tks

am no mechanic but im pretty sure this is wut is wrong. i drawed you a dagram so u git wut am talking about. bassicly when ur engen heats up the cable with the key on it expands so it doesnt make contact with the engen so u cool the cable with water or snow and it makes contact

If you dont have anything usefull to input, dont bother at all, also, learn how to spell.

#5 Grayedout

Grayedout

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:35 PM

Whats your idle speed ?

#6 Protarmic

Protarmic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:45 PM

[quote name='Sammy D' date='Feb 12 2007, 10:25 PM' post='452051']

[/quote

Hey Sammy. Im having a problem like this, and with the constant rain for the past 2 days i also have problems with my dizzy and the leads. i have to dry them off and spray wd40 on the points. if the lights are on, it sometimes keeps running until the lights are turned off. Could this all be linked to the dizzy being damp? Im just hopeing for something like this as i dont want it to be a melted wire!

#7 ginigwunkle

ginigwunkle

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,018 posts
  • Local Club: sheffield mini club

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:02 AM

are you using a hif carb?

they have(should have) a anti run on valve.....

my hif44 has one but isnt connected(not sure how) but im told it will stop the 'run on'

not sure where you can get one from also if anyone could inform on how too connect and where too....

CHEERS!

#8 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:29 AM

This is called running on or dieseling and has many causes. The basic problem is that there is excess risidual heat in the combustion chambers so that the fuel will continue to ignite even with the ignition system switched off. It can be due to ignition or cam timing, fuelling, cooling, compression, age or lubrication problems but it ultimately a symptom of an engine being out of tune in some way. Some higher states of engine tuning are forced to be in this state which is why some (but by no means all) late Minis with HIF carbs have anti run-on valves. I think fitment of the valve is limited to the ERA Turbo and RSP Cooper. Running on is very bad for an engine as there is not enough oil flowing while the engine is erratically crashing around with the ignition off and as such it can cause severe damage if it carries on for any time.

Protarmic, I doubt this is what is causing your car to keep running as long as the headlamps are switched on unless by some fluke you are always switching the headlamps off just when the dieseling stops. You really need to find out if there is a wiring fault because it could potentially be very dangerous.

#9 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:44 AM

LMFAO

I hope you stay around bigmadbasturd. Maybe you should take over from Dan as technical guru.

#10 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:49 AM

:gimme: seems like just a spammer/abuser

#11 leonie

leonie

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Local Club: colchester mini club

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:07 AM

my car always runs on when its too lean !!!!!!

#12 Bass Man

Bass Man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Local Club: London & Surrey MOC

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:34 AM

LOL!!

I think we have all encountered this before, I had an old Volvo once and it was race to get in the house before the engine stopped!!

You just need to get the basics set, depending on what car it is, check the tappets, points, plugs, timing and mixture. Get these all these correct and if it doesn't stop consider a decoke, it is possible for a build up around the valves to cause the fuel to ignite and prolong the cycle after the power is off.

#13 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:59 AM

i had a big lump of coal on one of my pistons which caused run on and erratic running for a while.. once it heats up and glows red it acts as an ignition source for the mixture!! Whatever is causing it, you need to get it sorted... i'd start with a good service and go from there.

#14 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:05 PM

LMFAO

I hope you stay around bigmadbasturd. Maybe you should take over from Dan as technical guru.

I concur! :gimme:

#15 Sammy D

Sammy D

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:30 PM

[quote name='Protarmic' post='452067' date='Feb 12 2007, 10:45 PM'][quote name='Sammy D' post='452051' date='Feb 12 2007, 10:25 PM']

[/quote

Hey Sammy. Im having a problem like this, and with the constant rain for the past 2 days i also have problems with my dizzy and the leads. i have to dry them off and spray wd40 on the points. if the lights are on, it sometimes keeps running until the lights are turned off. Could this all be linked to the dizzy being damp? Im just hopeing for something like this as i dont want it to be a melted wire![/quote]
Buy a pair of Marigolds (washing up gloves), cut the fingers off and poke the leads through the fingers and put the hand over the dizzy.

Keeps the water out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users