#1 day101

day101

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Local Club: Dont have one:(

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:22 PM

Is it common to have them all the bloody time, i had my engine rebuilt with all new seals and its been perfect for about 4,000 miles and now its started to leak again it seems like its coming from the fly wheel seal. is there any way that this can be sorted without taking the engine out and putting new seals on it? its really annoying when your only earning £350 a month :gimme: and body work needs doing, but dont want to get rid of the car now though but if it carries on may be forced.

Please help

Thanks

Luke

#2 minimad998

minimad998

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Local Club: not part of a club

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:31 PM

Is it common to have them all the bloody time, i had my engine rebuilt with all new seals and its been perfect for about 4,000 miles and now its started to leak again it seems like its coming from the fly wheel seal. is there any way that this can be sorted without taking the engine out and putting new seals on it? its really annoying when your only earning £350 a month :gimme: and body work needs doing, but dont want to get rid of the car now though but if it carries on may be forced.

Please help

Thanks

Luke

hey luke ive changed the crank seal on the flywheel side of the engine which is fairly easy, as long as you can get the clutch and flywheel off you shouldnt have much of a problem getting the seal of, may be a bit tight but never the less its possible!

#3 day101

day101

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:41 PM

yeah but im not very good, i can do the basics, i fitted the stage one kit on there before and things like that ok. but when it comes to the engine im not the best at it to be honest.

#4 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:36 PM

Someone will correct me if i am way of the mark here, but it could be due to excessive crank case pressure (which is whats going on with mine) so a quick and easy step to take would be to take off and clean all of the breathers....

....who rebuilt your engine? Was there a warranty with the work?

Have you noticed any slipping of the clutch? Is the oil coming from the hole with the split pin in or are you unsure?

#5 day101

day101

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:39 PM

urm, the filter on my breather looks very clogged up think i could do with getting a new one, urm no it was a friend and he done it for £120 what i can moan about he done a good job it has not leaked for ages and been running great, do you think a good service would be in order has it hasnt had one for ages to be honest prob sence last oct or sept. not sure.

#6 day101

day101

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:39 PM

urm, the filter on my breather looks very clogged up think i could do with getting a new one, urm no it was a friend and he done it for £120 what i can moan about he done a good job it has not leaked for ages and been running great, do you think a good service would be in order has it hasnt had one for ages to be honest prob sence last oct or sept. not sure.

#7 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:00 PM

Well definately give that a good clean out for starters, then consult your mate about replacing the seal?

#8 day101

day101

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:07 PM

ok ill have a chat with him about replacing it, how would the breather filter make it do that or help towards it

#9 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:19 PM

....basically, the breather is blocked allowing a limited amount of gases to escape, causing increased pressure, potentially resulting in pressure being released by forcing oil out of places that it otherwise wouldn't be forced out of.....this is not very technical, but you can do a search on 'crank case pressure' which will explain it in a lot more detail.

#10 day101

day101

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:36 PM

Right got a new breather on it, just went and got one my old one had thick oil in it and was clogged up really good, im going to see how the leak is tonight and take it from there i think

#11 day101

day101

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:04 AM

The Oil Leak has starting again from the split pin. i dont know what else to do is it going to be take the engine apart and change the seal again ?? :(

#12 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Local Club: Milton Keynes Mini Club, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:00 PM

Hi
The clutch oil seal (you refer to it as flywheel oil seal) leaking oil is one of the biggest problem on mini's in my opinion. The causes include the crank case pressure being too high, cause by either blocked crankcase breathers, or overfilling the engine with oil.
To change the clutch oil seal without removing the engine, the clutch end pf the engine needs to be jacked up so you can remove the flywheel cover bolts and then the cover.
Removing the flywheel/clutch assembly is what genarally comes next, and it is an easy process but be prepared for a little brute force to remove the flywheel!

Once this is removed, the clutch oil seal can be removed and replaced.

Once all put back together with clutch reconnected etc, do not start the engine without first ensuring your breathers are clear, and that the oil level is just below minimum mark. Overfilling with oil is a common mistake, and the more volume of oil added in overfilling means there is less volume of air in the crankcase. Hence the pressure is higher than normal and can blow at the weakest point...the oil seal.
PM me if you want and I can give u my number to explain it in more detail.

John

#13 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Local Club: Milton Keynes Mini Club, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:12 PM

Hi
The clutch oil seal (you refer to it as flywheel oil seal) leaking oil is one of the biggest problem on mini's in my opinion. The causes include the crank case pressure being too high, cause by either blocked crankcase breathers, or overfilling the engine with oil.
To change the clutch oil seal without removing the engine, the clutch end pf the engine needs to be jacked up so you can remove the flywheel cover bolts and then the cover.
Removing the flywheel/clutch assembly is what genarally comes next, and it is an easy process but be prepared for a little brute force to remove the flywheel!

Once this is removed, the clutch oil seal can be removed and replaced.

Once all put back together with clutch reconnected etc, do not start the engine without first ensuring your breathers are clear, and that the oil level is just below minimum mark. Overfilling with oil is a common mistake, and the more volume of oil added in overfilling means there is less volume of air in the crankcase. Hence the pressure is higher than normal and can blow at the weakest point...the oil seal.

To check my engine breather , I removed the breather hose and oil filler cap, and was able to easily blow through,hence the breather was clear!!
PM me if you want and I can give u my number to explain it in more detail.

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users