#1 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:40 PM

'Avo,

Im possibly going to be chastised for even asking, but oh well. I have my mini booked in for MOT tomorrow :( , the only real thing i have a slight concern about is the bonnet catch, since i bought it the bonnet would occasionally fly up when hitting approx 60mph, so i cable tied it, but it has since spent its whole time off the road (with bonnet off) so have just been reminded of the problem.

I am going to see if i can 'adjust' it tonight to get it to work and if not probably order new bits and fix at the weekend. But regarding the MOT, do they have to open the bonnet, if not, i'll just cable tie it, or should i not worry about it as they wont be driving it anywhere really or will they notice and fail it?

Any thoughts?

#2 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:48 PM

First thought:

Get it sorted

Second thought:

Yes, they will open the bonnet, they need to check a few things under there! If it doesn't close properly then they will fail it.

#3 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:53 PM

Right...regarding first thought, of course, from memory it's not much fun when it happens !

Second thought, right, i hope it just requires a certian amount of fettling tonight! :'(
Else the brava will be attending another mini meet! :(

Cheers!

#4 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:02 PM

Hmmm, could opt for sring hooks if you wanted to?

It should be fairly easy to sort it. I think it's detailed in the HBOL.

#5 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:23 PM

Hmm, im liking the sound of this, after all i am a self proclaimed king of bodge, being at work i dont have access to Haynes, but what's the gist of it?

#6 Bass Man

Bass Man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Local Club: London & Surrey MOC

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:39 PM

The first check they do on the MOT is oil I think, because they have to run the engine at speed for the CO, I got pulled up on this once :(*

#7 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:47 PM

You mean oil level? Which remind me.....need to sort out oil leak as well... :(

#8 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:26 PM

Thay have to open the bonnet to check the VIN plate agrees with what's on the DVLA computer. They also have to remove the dipstick & put down a probe to ensure the oil is up to temperature before they do the CO2 testes.

Alan...

#9 Marky Tizz

Marky Tizz

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:56 PM

Theyre not gonna be taking your car above 60mph are they lets be fair :(
Other than that, get some bonnet straps!

#10 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:59 PM

Well no, this is true, but you can kind of tell that it doesn't shut properly unfortunately....any solutions have to be bought/made and fitted tonight....but bonnet straps (of some sort) could be made tonight i guess, but when fitting these do you have to retain the original fitting in the centre?

#11 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:37 PM

Probably just needs an adjustment on, what I'm reliably informed is called, the dogs knob.... the thing with the spring round it

#12 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:48 PM

Yes, unfortunately there have been a few "adjustments" on the front panel from when the engine rested on it :( trying to get the flywheel off, its been bent back, but will never be 'as new'.

I could probably get some bonnet straps tonight, and after searching and reading all the topics on them, my only question left is, by law (MOT) do you need to retain the mechanical fixing, or are bonnet straps acceptable as a complete replacement?

#13 minislapper

minislapper

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:28 PM

Thay have to open the bonnet to check the VIN plate agrees with what's on the DVLA computer. They also have to remove the dipstick & put down a probe to ensure the oil is up to temperature before they do the CO2 testes.

Alan...

I've never had this on ANY car (mini or not) I've taken for MOT over the years.

Can you not make a bonnet strap from an old leather belt and some rivets?

Edited by minislapper, 14 February 2007 - 07:28 PM.

#14 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:50 PM

I have actually managed to get a set of bonnet straps tonight and fit them, they were from SC Parts and look pretty rubbish imo, but do the job well and i havent had to drill my bonnet so will replace further down the line with some nicer ones BUT in true mini fashion, now the indicators don't work lol and the brakes need bleeding..again! Hey ho

#15 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:10 AM

Alan...

I've never had this on ANY car (mini or not) I've taken for MOT over the years.

You should have done if your car has a cat, at least the gas tester I used to have and all others that I've seen had this test.

This is only relevant for a test on a cat equipped car (AFAIK). There is a temperature probe that is inserted into the dipstick hole to ensure your oil temperature is OK before the test is carried out.

Alot of testers don't bother with it, some even have a fag lighter on the gas tester in some garages I've been to so they can heat up the end of the probe and cheat the test! Some garages just put the probe on the exhaust manifold to cheat it! :(

Edited by mini mad me, 15 February 2007 - 10:19 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users