8 replies to this topic

#1 nikilah

nikilah

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:55 PM

so, new engine in and it ran. engine out and put back in. everything labeled up and reconnected correctly. checked and double checked. turns over lovely but no spark. not a jot. thought i might be freak coil gone. new coil fitted. nothing. nada. i am only a couple of thou of doing a proper basil fawlty and beating it with a sizable stick. any assisatnce would be great. and or, if anyone is in the leicester area and knows their way around a minis electrics then there is several beers in it for you if you can get it running. its giving me a headache.

#2 stevesmini

stevesmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:04 PM

oh dear try removing the dizzy lid then check point second if there alright put test light on the points as soon as the open it should light up good luck

#3 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:35 PM

You didn't say if this was for points or electronic ignition. Regardless, start with confirming you have power going to the coil (+) terminal when the ignition key is turned on.

You may want to download a PDF I put together on ignitions. It has a troubleshooting section.
http://home.mindspri...tsIgnitions.pdf

#4 nikilah

nikilah

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:05 PM

You didn't say if this was for points or electronic ignition. Regardless, start with confirming you have power going to the coil (+) terminal when the ignition key is turned on.

You may want to download a PDF I put together on ignitions. It has a troubleshooting section.
http://home.mindspri...tsIgnitions.pdf

we have checked and there is power going to the coil with the ignition on. however, i also get an earth reading from this cable when the ignition is turned off. is this right. although we havent touched it and it ran before so i assume it must be. itis points by the way.

Edited by nikilah, 15 February 2007 - 11:06 PM.

#5 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:06 PM

You still didn't say if this was points or electronic ignition.

Look through my PDF, including the general overview of how the ignition works. Succinctly, with the wires connected and the points "closed" you will read something close to an earth connection on EITHER/BOTH of the coil low-tension terminals. The readings will be different by 1-3 ohms, but both will look like earth connections when the points are closed.

There are several tests outlined in the PDF and there's also an explanation of what each test is looking for. Basically, you're following the voltage to see where the problem occurs.

#6 nikilah

nikilah

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:19 PM

[quote name='dklawson' date='Feb 16 2007, 01:06 PM' post='454679']
You still didn't say if this was points or electronic ignition.

yeah, right at the bottom i said it was points. i will run through the pdf and see whats what. i have done all the check recommended by the haynes but they all say i should have a spark. but i dont. so we took it all apart and checked it. incase something had gone amiss when we removed the dizzy to get the engine out. all was fine so we refitted it and set everything. checked connections turned the ignition on and nowt. not a jot. turns over beautiful but not a glimmer. both old and new coil tried. nothing. im sure it is something easy which is why i could do with someone having a look. but the last auto electrician we tried didnt know his arsehole from his earhole. :D

#7 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:57 PM

Sorry... I obviously missed your statement that it was points.

Go through the PDF starting with the steps on testing the coil by itself without being connected to the distributor cap or points. Then add the other components back in the picture one at a time until you find you've lost the spark.

See also:
http://auto.howstuff...tion-system.htm
Take the links off this page for a graphical look at how the system works.

#8 nikilah

nikilah

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:40 PM

Sorry... I obviously missed your statement that it was points.

Go through the PDF starting with the steps on testing the coil by itself without being connected to the distributor cap or points. Then add the other components back in the picture one at a time until you find you've lost the spark.

See also:
http://auto.howstuff...tion-system.htm
Take the links off this page for a graphical look at how the system works.

will go through it all again cause i am sure i have missed something but i cant see what. will keep you posted.
thanks.

#9 nikilah

nikilah

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:45 PM

its working now. i swear to god we never did a thing. no spark thursday so we packed up and went in. went out to it saturday, put the key in and it started first turn of the key. :crazy: dont know whether to be over the moon or proper annoyed because if it does it again then i havent found the fault so were back to square 1. its working now though. thats the main thing. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users