Photo
- - - - -

Su carbs off a triumph dolmite 1800cc fit to a mini??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alcow20

Alcow20

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:43 AM

does any one kno if a pair of SU carbs off a trumph dolmirte 1800cc are sutable for a mini??

#2 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:55 AM

Think they would be HS6's wouldn't they. Prob be a bit too big unless you have a fully tuned 1600 or 1400 something like that. Could be wrong tho. And you would need a manifold to fit. Unless the engines is an A-series.

Scratch that, their completely different to what I thought.

Edited by Big_Adam, 27 February 2007 - 11:58 AM.

#3 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:09 PM

If they are SUs, measure the throat diameter. From what I remember, the "2" in HS2 stands for 1 + 2 x 1/8" so the throat of an HS2 should measure 1-1/4". However, the Triumph being an 1800, it's likely that they would be a pair of HS4s similar to what's was used on the MGB. With the proper manifold, replacement of the float bowl alignment/positioning bushing, and re-jetting you can probably make the HS4s work on a high-performance 1275 or larger. I believe Vizard may have some sections in his various books about using these larger carbs.

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:19 PM

1800 dolomites have twin HS4's, and basically, an HS4 is an HS4 whatever the make of vehicle... yes they can be made to work on a mini, but you will need a Mini inlet manifold and probably change the float bowl angle...

The size of the carb maybe the issue, as DK points out... you need a fairly hoppy motor to get near the airflow rate which the carbs need.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users