#1 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:08 PM

Hi all

Today i thought it would be a good idea to lean my bonnet against the wall so the wind could blow it over, dent it and remove the pait. :'(

So, ive decided to get a carbon fibre one but was wondering at howmuch i would be looking to pay for it to be prep'd and painted, est. It would need to be in metalic with cooper white stripes on it.

Also, i dont know what colour blue my car is. How will they get it right?

Johnny

#2 Musto

Musto

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Local Club: Club Lupo

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:38 PM

haha u dont no the couler, theres a couler code on the car, unless its a custom couler!

#3 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:48 PM

haha u dont no the couler, theres a couler code on the car, unless its a custom couler!

why is that funny? In answer, it looks like your car is indeed a custom created colour, though a good paint shop will be able to colour match it without any problems.

You could prep the bonnet yourself in about an hour if you took your time...

#4 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:23 PM

Hi Retro

It is indeed a custom colour. I did get an idiot out in a van (chips away) a year ago to do a tiny chip on my door and he matched it well although he messed up and did the whole door and didnt finish it properly. So if a k**b like that can do it a body shop will.

What would i need to do to prep it? Would it then be a matter of the body shop painting it? If so, would it be £100 or more than that?

Johnny

#5 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:12 PM

Yup I thought as much, rover never painted a car as brightly or as flamboyantly as that :lol:

Anyway... personally I wouldn't get carbon fibre,... I would get a fibreglass one, Carbon fibre looks pretty and is a nice bragging point, but it'd be a shame to paint it up, however, to prep it, I'd rub it down with some 800grit wet and dry till the 'glossiness' has disappeared, being careful not to go through to the weave. then that's it... the body shop will hopefully de-grease, prime, and paint it up.

fibreglass is just as good as CF for something like a bonnet if you're gonna paint it, it's still light and wont break the bank as much. Prep is the same, you 'Wet and dry' it till the glossiness of the gel coat has has gone.

#6 Max_legend

Max_legend

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:31 AM

Hey, thought i'd just add my question in here, if i get a carbon fibre or fibreglass front (not sure which im gonna go for yet) is there any extra reinforcing required??

#7 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts
  • Local Club: The mini forum - i live here

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:47 AM

yep to put a flip front on.. you need to remove inner wings and add strut bars... although you would be better off putting up a proper thread about it.. its more likley to be read!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users