#1 Elfie

Elfie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Local Club: Teeside Yesteryear Motor Club

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:55 PM

Right, my Wolseley 16/60 stopped last week and wouldn't start again, I identified the problem as being that the dynamo needed re-brushing so I found a dynamo that says it's for cars including a mini, but not for the morris oxford,austin cambridge or any variations on that. I replaced the end of the wolseley dynamo with the end of the mini dynamo. The car works fine but my indicators, windscreen wipers and heater do not work, although the lights do.
I'd have thought the end of the dynamo with the brushes wouldn't have made a difference since the power is to do with the coils?
Is it likely to be my dynamo or am I just unlucky that my electrics have packed in?
Thanks

#2 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:10 PM

The problems you're experiencing are probably unrelated except for the fact that you have been (out of necessity) touching the wiring.

If you have a volt-meter, check the battery voltage with the car at rest (engine off) and with it running and held to something at or above 1500 RPM. You should see the voltage at 1500 RPM be about 1 to 1.5V higher than what you measure with the engine not running. If you see voltages way above 14.5V, read up on adjusting (or replacing) the voltage regulator (control box). If you don't' see at least 1V higher voltage at the battery with the engine at 1500 RPM, you may still need to look at the control box but it might just as easily be the generator itself. There are some in-situ test that can be performed on the generator but I don't want to tell them to you from memory, I'd rather be certain of the procedure before typing it.

Regardless, if the car is charging the battery, the output of the generator should not hinder the operation of any of the other systems. My personal suspicion is that in replacing the generator part of the wiring harness from the fuse box to the three problem areas has become disconnected. (loose fuses, broken wires, etc.)

#3 Elfie

Elfie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Local Club: Teeside Yesteryear Motor Club

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:42 PM

Ok I'll give it a look over at the weekend.
Thanks alot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users