#1 Bigbluey

Bigbluey

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:30 AM

Hi everyone,

My car is fitted with a zeemax body kit and I am about to get painted and I am thinking about getting the kit moulded to the car for that clean look. I have noticed that most minis with kits use rubber seals between the kit and the body instead of moulding the kit to the car. Is there a good reason for this? Does the mini body twist a little to cause cracking or something? Can anyone help me? :proud:

#2 Maxmini

Maxmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 07:30 AM

Hi everyone,

My car is fitted with a zeemax body kit and I am about to get painted and I am thinking about getting the kit moulded to the car for that clean look. I have noticed that most minis with kits use rubber seals between the kit and the body instead of moulding the kit to the car. Is there a good reason for this? Does the mini body twist a little to cause cracking or something? Can anyone help me? :proud:

Best to keep the kit bolted on as you say the body moves about and you dont want to pay to get it resprayed again. Body kits do look better bonded on but it is the risk you take use the smallest amount of filler as you can if you have to.

#3 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:34 AM

As above, the bodykit twists around, and also, in extreme summer sun, expands at a rate quicker than the car it's attatched too, and so cracks. but general driving will crack it sooner or later. IF you're dead set on moulding it flush to the body... you'll need to rivet it on, bolt it on, bond it on, and filler over... It has to be absolutlely solid, and even then it may well crack after a couple of years.

Bolt on kits also enable you to take it off should it look arse....

#4 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:06 PM

my kit got damaged by the council. for the full storey click my project link for the KOD father under my sig.

i love the look of a moulded in body kit. but no matter how well its done, its still only a matter of time before it cracks. Plus with mine you need to remove the front part of the kit if you need to get to the front subframe mounts, i think yours will be the same.

#5 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:04 PM

what have you decided to go with? blended in or with seem?

#6 Bigbluey

Bigbluey

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:49 AM

what have you decided to go with? blended in or with seem?

I am going with the seem look...Its the safer bet. How do you instal the seem?Do you fit it to the edge of the fit the but the kit on od do you put the seem around the kit after its been fitted? Where do you get the seem from?

#7 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:07 AM

The seam is to protect the paintwork from the kit rubbing, and to stop any small Vibrations from the kit to the body. Therefore it has to go inbetween the car and the bodykit. attatch to the kit, then attatch the kit to the car.

Edited by Retro_10s, 08 March 2007 - 09:07 AM.

#8 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:35 PM

What he said! :proud:
the seem should come with the kit. if you havent got one contact the surply, Zeemax autofashions or other depending on who made your kit.
the non-blending in is defenitly the safer optin. and takes about 3 days less time to fit!

id love to see some picutres when its done, i will post mine up aswell when its complete.

#9 Bigbluey

Bigbluey

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:32 AM

Does anyone know where I can get these seems from? I have had a little search and I can find nothing

#10 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:25 PM

Zeemax or autofashions. give them a call

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users