mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Local Club: Milton Keynes Mini Club, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:43 PM

Hi
I am trying to replace the wheel bearing on the back of my Cooper. I have got as far as removing the hub, but I find that the inner bearing near the oil seal won't budge off the stub exle.
I have been brutal and was able to remove the rollers and pin race, but the actual bearing inner (the one which is extended to do away with the bearing space) is stuck on the stub axle.
I have ground two flats on it at 180 degrees apart, so I get get an adjustable wrench to turn it.
But how can I actually remove it? This is the only part I now need to remove in order to fit the new bearing. I have a bearing puller, but have no roon to get it to fit to the rear of it.

Any help will be appreciated! Also, what Torque setting is correct for the tapered roller bearings when I replace. It is the one from Minispares.

Thanks
John

Edited by mk=john, 02 March 2007 - 05:44 PM.

#2 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:52 PM

With the flats, has it turned at all? If so you need to turn & also get a pulling motion on so that it starts to come away from the back of the bearing. I tend to use Stilson's you can get bothe movements on that way. Then once there is a gap either get the puller in or start to get a screwdriver down the back. Keep moving around the bearing or all it will do is lock on further. Another but risky alternative is to keep grinding until you are all the way through the bearing BUT DO NOT grind the stub axle.

Alan...

#3 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:56 PM

Hi
yes, I grinded flats, and the bearing can be turned with the use of a large adjustable spanner. i guess I would need a small piece of sheet steel and try and slide it down the back of the bearing when there is s gap?

I dont think i need to grind anymore as the bearing does actually turn. Just that I cant seem to see a gap behind it. I will try however to slide something behind it as I am turning it with thye wrench. Its a reall pain in the but..........

#4 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:11 PM

Fastest way to remove a inner bearing off a shaft is to angle grind, horizontal to shaft, through the bearing leaving only a wafer thin part left. While still hot just tap it off. Or when you master the first method, you can run a stick type welder on one half of the bearing causing it to expand. I use these methods when trying to avoid heat transfer to delicate parts.

#5 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:46 PM

Hi
Thanks for the reply. I managed to get the bearing off!! Just one more question. I have the new tapered roller bearings from minispares (The one with the built in distance piece on the bearing) What is the correct torque setting for the rear hub bearing nut?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users