#1 Bigbluey

Bigbluey

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:58 AM

Hi Everyone....Again hahaha

I drove my car quite a bit in the weekend and in that time I now have a problem with the steering. Since I got a wheel alignment done there seemed to be a bit of play in the steering. Also is it normal for the steering to be really light left and right before it has any affect in moving the wheels? (I am only talking about a 10-20mm either side). Now about the problem...When turning the car in a tight space or just even turning around its like the steering is sliping or something aswell as making a clunky type of sound. It grips then it slips then it grips again. I also noticed that the play in the steering became increasing larger that usual. You could move the steering wheel quite a bit left and right without the wheels moving. I hope someone can help.

And thanks you to everyone who replied to my previous topics. You guys are great!!! :)

#2 rozzer!

rozzer!

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 08:28 AM

Hi Everyone....Again hahaha

I drove my car quite a bit in the weekend and in that time I now have a problem with the steering. Since I got a wheel alignment done there seemed to be a bit of play in the steering. Also is it normal for the steering to be really light left and right before it has any affect in moving the wheels? (I am only talking about a 10-20mm either side). Now about the problem...When turning the car in a tight space or just even turning around its like the steering is sliping or something aswell as making a clunky type of sound. It grips then it slips then it grips again. I also noticed that the play in the steering became increasing larger that usual. You could move the steering wheel quite a bit left and right without the wheels moving. I hope someone can help.

And thanks you to everyone who replied to my previous topics. You guys are great!!! :)

its probably a worn rack or the lesser evil worn column splines. have you checked that everything is sll bolted down properly as slack bolts can cause this.

#3 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:09 AM

If the problem has only appeared since the tracking was done, I would be taking it back to the place that did it, asking them to check that they have re-tightened everything correctly.

If you have someone that can help you check it over, get them to sit in the car and wobble the steering wheel left and right, whilst you try and identify where the play is. Start from the coumn splines and work your way down. You could also jack both froint wheels up and give them a wobble to see if there is any play in the track rod ends.

#4 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:31 AM

Check your tower bolts.

#5 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Local Club: Milton Keynes Mini Club, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:26 AM

Yep, Take the car back and get them to check all work done, sounds like they may heve even replaced a worn part with another worn part, or something is loose!!

Your life may depend on this, don't hesitate to get it sorted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users