JoeBodge

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:58 PM

alright,
im planning on buying some GAZ shocks some point soon. which ones should i go for lowered or standard adjustables?
i know with the lowered ones, they stop the unit coming apart when being lifted up, and stop from bottoming out - but is there any other advantages?
Do i need any modifications to fit lowered shocks?
which are peoples preference? and why?

Another thing - is there any different between minisports adjusta rides kit and minispares Hi-Low kit

again, what are peoples preferneces? and why?

thanks

JoeB

#2 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:05 PM

I had x2 of the minisapres hi-lo bend on me

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:29 PM

Firstly, with the shocks you seem to have it the wrong way around in your head. You don't need to make modifications in order to fit lowered shocks, you need to fit lowered shocks if you have made modifications. If you have lowered the resting suspension height more than about an inch lower than standard you will need to fit lowered shocks. The shocks do not control the ride height, the suspension does. If you fit standard shocks to lowered suspension or lowered shocks to standard suspension you will cause damage to the shocks. You need to use the right part for the application. They don't come apart by the way but they do hit the top of travel just as they hit the bottom.

Yes there is a big difference between the suspension adjusting units. Mini Spares Hi-Lo kit is the original and best unit and is patented. The spring seat on this unit has a specific shape to alter the way the spring behaves and make it more progressive, important when the suspension is lowered as you are reducing the total suspension travel available and so need the spring to be more responsive. All the other makes, including the Mini Sport version are just cheap copies of this original. The Hi-Lo was originally designed and patented by Ripspeed and produced by Mini Spares under licence, this was before Ripspeed became nothing more than a different desk with the same clueless youth behind it at Halfords of course.

#4 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:41 PM

this was before Ripspeed became nothing more than a different desk with the same clueless youth behind it at Halfords of course

Quality :D

#5 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:48 PM

Mind you i've had the Mini Sport Adjusta-Rides fitted to my Mini for the best part of 11 years and they've been superb. I didn't lower my Mini though, so I stuck with standard height dampers but fitted Gas Spax Adjustables.

I set the ride height to standard on my Mini, or perhaps slightly raised to compensate for the fact we were using it for family camping holidays and having to put up with sleeping policemen etc.

#6 JoeBodge

JoeBodge

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:58 PM

so if i lower the suspension using the hi-lows i will need lowered shocks?
as i plan to lower down the back a bit - but only a lil bit

#7 JoeBodge

JoeBodge

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:16 PM

come on please- need some help in chosin - alot of money if i buy da wrong ones

#8 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:29 PM

so if i lower the suspension using the hi-lows i will need lowered shocks?
as i plan to lower down the back a bit - but only a lil bit

Yes you might do, depending on how far you lower it. I would say you should fit the Hi-Los first and set the height where you want it (bearing in mind that it will take a few days to settle) using the standard shocks before you decide which new ones to buy. You will know if they are bottoming out regularly in normal driving or not and this will tell you which you need. If they do start bottoming out badly you need to change them ASAP. There are no definites here, some setups need lowered shocks and some don't. It depends on many things.

by the way you know the back is meant to be higher than the front don't you? Lots of people try to adjust out what they see as an error in the ride height but don't realise that it is part of the car's design.

#9 mini-Ash

mini-Ash

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:31 PM

You dont have to change the shocks but it is reccomended... Ive got Huddersfield spares hi-lows and Gmax shocks all round.... great bit of kit and didnt cost too much either.

#10 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:56 PM

hey i workat halfords i know lots lots............................................................................
............................................................................abou
bikes :D

#11 JoeBodge

JoeBodge

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:04 AM

thanks - i will have a go at fitting the hi-lows then mini-ash did you buy lowered or standard shocks?

why does it sit higher at the back then? mines looks stupid wit it only running on 10s - nice n close to the arch at the front - about 2 - 2.5" gap between tyre and arch at the back???

#12 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:14 AM

Don't know the real reason, but my supposition is...

When in normal state the mini has a driver.... when fully loaded the mini has 4 occupants and a boot full of shopping... this affects the weight of the car and also the suspension.... hence why the back is higher, to compensate...

or...

The rear is higher to affect corner weights, with it being higher, it moves a greater proportion of the cars weight to the front, over the driving wheels.. Change the suspension height affects these corner weights, and could impact the handling of the vehicle... You should re-adjust the corner weights when using hilos, not that anyone does.

#13 JoeBodge

JoeBodge

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:15 PM

if i bought lowered shocks will they fit if im running 1.5 negative camber ?
as i remeber there being something about that you couldnt run them with negative camber??

#14 Minwah

Minwah

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:28 PM

if i bought lowered shocks will they fit if im running 1.5 negative camber ?
as i remeber there being something about that you couldnt run them with negative camber??

It's possible your rear wheels might rub the shocks if you add too much negative camber...this happened to me so I used some thin spacer shims. That said, it is as much (or more) due to the increased diameter of uprated shocks as the increased neg. camber.

As far as I know the front should be OK, so long as you don't have ridiculous amounts of camber. If you mean you will be using the fixed '1.5deg camber arms' then your camber will be likely 0.5-1degree (negative), which will be fine.

As for rear ride height, I usually lower the back so that it is slightly higher than the front...some mini's look very jacked up at the back, which is probably not neccessary (IMO) especially if you don't use the car for heavy loads or have many passengers.

#15 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:16 PM

I have this Kit on my mini. This is the kit with the lowered type dampers. I would say fit lowered dampers as long as you don't plan on raising the suspension height. I would def get the lowered type.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users