Mini_Arno

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:13 PM

Hi,

because i'm not running on disk brakes yet, I can get a pair of metro-brakes for ca. 40 pounds.
Buyer says there are already made suitable for a mini.

Can anybody identify these brakes as Metro ones, because I thought metro-brakes are vented... =]

LINK

Some sanding will make them clean and new brakepads and disk will make them good working :D

#2 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:35 AM

firstly they come in vented and solid (early ones)

the hubs are different to mini but do fit, they have a different top and bottom swivels but they fit the same hole but they change the camber, 1.5 degree camber bottom arms change that back to normal,

i would fit new pads and discs, they look a bit thin but maybe its just the picture that isnt good.

and then you'll need the £40 brake converting pipes because metros have 2 brake pipes to each cylinder, minis have 1!!

and on top of that the drive flanges have to be machined to remove the spigoet mounting point for metro wheels!

personally i wudnt spend a penny more than £20 on them but its up to you, are u sure u cant find anything cheaper!

#3 minislapper

minislapper

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:37 AM

personally i wudnt spend a penny more than £20 on them but its up to you, are u sure u cant find anything cheaper!

Not being in the UK, they're obviously not as lucky as us!! Original post doesn't say £40! :D

Good luck sourcing the parts if you decide to go for them.

#4 Mini_Arno

Mini_Arno

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:05 AM

at the comparison with standard 8,4 inch mini brakes..for which type would choose you? Commands you me to look further for some vented ones??

#5 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:42 AM

Vented calipers/disks are heavier and you only benefit from better cooling helping with brake fade, this is only of significant benefit on a race track when they are in constant use.

What is your mini going to be used for?

#6 Mini_Arno

Mini_Arno

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:49 AM

Vented calipers/disks are heavier and you only benefit from better cooling helping with brake fade, this is only of significant benefit on a race track when they are in constant use.

What is your mini going to be used for?

I'm driving with a 1275 metro engine on drums!!!! so stoppingpower is always required. Just saw this advertisment of metrobrakes passing by, but have no idea if these are good brakes compared with mini 8,4" ones...

#7 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:55 AM

Well both these and mini disc brakes would be a lot better, how much could you get a set of mini hubs/brakes for? If much less (after all other parts) i would go for them personally as you probably won't notice a great amount of difference anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users