#1 ginigwunkle

ginigwunkle

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Local Club: sheffield mini club

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:57 PM

are there any xenon lights out there for the mini?

seen lookalike types in the mags and wondered if theres the real thing newher...?

failing that im after a headlamp thats better than a candle thats just been blown out!

currnetly have angel eyes with 100w h4 bulbs(total poo!)

#2 Globule

Globule

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:59 PM

are there any xenon lights out there for the mini?

seen lookalike types in the mags and wondered if theres the real thing newher...?

failing that im after a headlamp thats better than a candle thats just been blown out!

currnetly have angel eyes with 100w h4 bulbs(total poo!)

You can buy iridium halogen headlamps which are probably the best you can get! angel eye's are less than non angel eye lights but im trying to get some kind of halogen myself! (using standards is very very poor!)

#3 jackready

jackready

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:18 PM

i got some xenon H4 bulbs for mine and they are pooooooo just like the old ones.
cant see any difference.

#4 mkw

mkw

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:08 PM

Get 4 of those 7 inch spots and wire them all up to normal lights :P

#5 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:10 AM

You can get gas discharge unit to replace the H4 bulb. There has been some discussion on here before about it. Just try a quick search and it should bring it up. As I remember your looking at around£250 to do the conversion.

#6 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 03:00 PM

I will just be the boring one for a moment and point out for the good of the forum that most of what is being discussed here is illegal, contravening both the Motor Vehicles Construction and Use regulations and the Motor Vehicle Lighting Regulations. Headlamps may be no brighter than 55 watt halogen on dipped beam and 60 watt halogen on main beam. HID lamps may only be used with an automatic dipped beam load compensation system. The E mark/British Standard or other approval on lamps relies on the lamp using the same type bulb as it was tested with. The Mini Forum does not suggest that anyone break the law.

Sorry for being dull, go back to your discussion.....

#7 MinipixMatthew

MinipixMatthew

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Local Club: Colchester Mini Club

Posted 11 March 2007 - 06:48 PM

Well said Dan!

You gotta ask yourself, why do you want it so bright? Sure, the standard sealed beam lights Minis came with aren't great (ok, really REALLY not great), but do you really need to see everything as if it was daylight? I'm using crystal halogen headlamps at the moment, which are a marked improvement on the originals, and are also street legal. You'll notice that most Angel Eyes tend to have sub-standard patterns, which means you have to replace them with normal headlamps for the MOT, which is rather naughty. I did some hunting around and spent a little more money and got some that passed the MOT fine, it's just a weight off my mind knowing that I've got nice looking headlamps that the coppers won't be able to pull me up on! My wheels on the other hand... ahem...

Anyway, for daily driving I'd recommend just sticking with something standard and putting up with it. You can always fit some aux lights so you can brighten it up a bit when no one else is around.

-M-

#8 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 06:51 PM

Yes, try fitting some lamps that have passed a test or two. The beam pattern makes a big difference and that's why it's required. Anyone can make a lamp that points forwards through a bit of glass, shaping the beam is the hard bit.

#9 ginigwunkle

ginigwunkle

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,018 posts
  • Local Club: sheffield mini club

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:46 PM

min are the angel eyes that are e-marked, passed the mot past 3/4 years and also again this year rest of car pending!

thinks il jus stick some spots on, the problem was the light didnt make it to the road thats all!

#10 mkw

mkw

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:59 PM

i don't think there is really much you can do with mini lights to make them a lot better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users