9 replies to this topic

#1 Jumpinjacks

Jumpinjacks

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:35 PM

I have recently done an engine change and I left the speedo cable on the car as it already worked fine but I have tried fitting it into the engine where it goes and there is hardly any room in there at all. The cable is fitted into the hole and I have tightened nacelle thing as much as I can by hand, but it still doesn't work and show any reading on the speedo, I can't get pliers in there as there isn't enough room.
How does everyone put these blooming things in I can't seem to work it out as there is no room under neath and none on top. Surely you don't need to take the engine out everytime you replace the speedo cable???
Please help if you can as I am dying to get this thing running once and for all.
Thanks.
Adam.

#2 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:42 PM

u can sometimes get to them from underneath when they are up on an mot ramp, are you sure the speedo drive worked before u did the transplant??

#3 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:45 PM

Take the rad and timing cover off, When I did my timing chain I noticed it was in a nice and easy to get to spot.

#4 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 11 March 2007 - 07:47 PM

good call adam, i'll keep that one in mind myself :xxx:

#5 Jumpinjacks

Jumpinjacks

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:49 PM

Take the rad and timing cover off, When I did my timing chain I noticed it was in a nice and easy to get to spot.

Ok cool I will try that tomorrow. I've never taken the timing cover off before but I take it that it is easy to get to?
@fikus01 yep the speedo definatly worked before I changed the engine.

#6 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:54 PM

Well to take the timing chain cover off you need a 1.5inch socket. Might be able to get round the timing cover tho with the rad out.

Just when I did my timing cover I was sitting on my arse in front of El Gordo and noticed it was right there. Never looked again after that.

#7 Jumpinjacks

Jumpinjacks

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:07 PM

Well to take the timing chain cover off you need a 1.5inch socket. Might be able to get round the timing cover tho with the rad out.

Just when I did my timing cover I was sitting on my arse in front of El Gordo and noticed it was right there. Never looked again after that.

How did you manage to sit on your arse and look directly at it? Have you got a removable front on your Mini?
As I wouldn't be able to see it on mine but just do it by feel.

#8 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:46 PM

i did mine without removing the radiator.....i just put plenty of vaseline on my arm and managed to get to the speedo housing. don't try this if you have chunky arms

#9 Jumpinjacks

Jumpinjacks

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 12:47 AM

i did mine without removing the radiator.....i just put plenty of vaseline on my arm and managed to get to the speedo housing. don't try this if you have chunky arms

lol I've got fairly big forearms ( oooo eeerr!!! :xxx: ) and I can't seem to do it.

Edited by Jumpinjacks, 12 March 2007 - 12:47 AM.

#10 Jumpinjacks

Jumpinjacks

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:49 PM

Thanks for the help guys it is all nice ands tight now and works a treat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users