#1 Millers Mini

Millers Mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Local Club: National Mini Owners Club

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:47 PM

Hi, we have just purchased a 1981 998cc HL from Ebay after being away from minis for about 12 years.

The car we brought is good condition for its age apart from lighting problems as follows can anyone help:

1. Side lights worked but head light wouldn't and main beam would only come on when held on i.e flashed.
2. After cleaning up contacts on 3 position switch and numerous cable joints within the bonnet area the headlights and side lights now work but the break lights and indicators/hazard lights don’t.

The car not been driven for a number of months prior to our purchase, can anybody make any suggestions.

Thanks,

The Millers.

#2 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:56 PM

brake lights
check the switch on the brake pedal, also the connection under the front scuttle lh side of the engine by close to the wiper spindal( this is where the loon joins the loom which runs through the roof to the rear lights

as for the indicators/ hazards
check your flasher units. the hazard one is in the engine bay and the indicator one is behind the dash. also check the connection is connected to the back of the switch.

these are the simplast things to check

#3 Millers Mini

Millers Mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Local Club: National Mini Owners Club

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:44 AM

Cheers cowboy, I'll check these tonight after work. I think it might be a corrosion problem on the terminals as the car has been standing for while and their pretty oxidised.

Where about in the dash is the indicator flasher unit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users