#1 yerdusk

yerdusk

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Local Club: Notts about minis

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:56 AM

right then! Heres the problem, I have took my wheel off, removed the brake caliper and am wanting to remove the complete hub by undoing all the 3, i think, ball joints. But when i undo the nuts, i get so far and the whole nut/bolt is spinning on all of the ball joints. How do i stop it from spinning to remove the nut? and then when removed, how do i put nut back on! Any help is much appreciated.

#2 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:01 AM

Well, the trick is normally to put some load on the joint, pressing it back into the taper. For the top hub swivel joint, I put a jack under the hub, which pushes the joint home. For the bottom, I put a jack under the bottom arm and again, this presses the arm onto the joint. For the track rod end, I use a bar across into the subframe, pressing the joint back into the steering arm. It normally doesn't take much force to do it. I'd say that you'd generally get away with using a bar with all of them, just be careful not to slip with it! :xxx:

#3 yerdusk

yerdusk

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Local Club: Notts about minis

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:04 AM

nice one, thanks alot, i think i will have a try in a bit. So i just need to put pressure onto the joint then? will report back when i have a go!

#4 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:14 AM

So i just need to put pressure onto the joint then?......

Basically yeah, perhaps it's worth you trying to tighten the nut back up a little and getting a wirebrush on the exposed threads and then giving em a little bit of penetrating fluid to help em along too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users