#1 SimonF

SimonF

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Local Club: West Country Mini's

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:48 PM

Just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this.

The car H reg 1275 Cooper, it was fitted with 4 spots to the front grille which are wired in and working, apart from they seem to only come on with dipped beam and go off with main beam, which is really annoying as I can't drive it at night due to me blinding everyone on the road.

Am I missing something really simple here? because it seems they are wired arse about face :xxx: what would I be looking for? would it be a simple case of switching some connectors round between dipped and main beam?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Si

#2 day101

day101

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Local Club: Dont have one:(

Posted 12 March 2007 - 02:02 PM

Just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this.

The car H reg 1275 Cooper, it was fitted with 4 spots to the front grille which are wired in and working, apart from they seem to only come on with dipped beam and go off with main beam, which is really annoying as I can't drive it at night due to me blinding everyone on the road.

Am I missing something really simple here? because it seems they are wired arse about face :xxx: what would I be looking for? would it be a simple case of switching some connectors round between dipped and main beam?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Si

Wired on the wrong cable?? relay missing?? im not sure really but i have put spot lights on a lorry and you need to make sure its coming off the full beam wire.

#3 SimonF

SimonF

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 02:08 PM

That's what I'm just trying to work out, there is a switch mounted on the dash which lights up when you put the main dipped lights on, but even if you flick the switch the spots dont go off only when you engage main beam?!

I'm going to remove the grille and do a bit more of an investigation as I'm sure they have connected something on the wrong way.

Where abouts is the full beam wire located? I can see whats connected to it then, if anything.

just been reading this:

http://www.theminifo...showtopic=19353

so I'll have another check later.

#4 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:02 PM

Well here are the wire colours found at the front of the car, just behind the front panel:-

Earth is the Black wires
Sidelights are Red/Red with Green
Headlights are thick Blue with Red
Main Beam thick Blue with White

I've got the same model Mini Cooper as you and mine had a pair of spots fitted when I bought it 13 years ago. But they weren't the usual Rover type and I removed them a few years later because they were earthed on the front panel and because the fixing brackets had rusted, they stopped working.

Anyway there's still a little relay mounted on the rear/left hand side of my engine bulkhead (just behind the servo) and that just had a wire running from the main fuse box (top I think?).

But of course mine only had the 2 driving lamps which should work with the main beam, where as the fog lamps should work with the dipped lights on a seperate switch.

Edited by taffy1967, 12 March 2007 - 05:04 PM.

#5 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:58 PM

your normally open and normally closed contacts on the relay are the wrong way around

just swap the wire onto the other terminal

#6 SimonF

SimonF

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:16 PM

Rigt nice one thanks, I shall have a look and see what's going on.

I've also lost power to the passenger side headlight so I think by the sounds of it there is a dodgy earth under there as well, think I'll take the grille off and have a proper investigation now I know what I'm looking for.

Let you know how I get on.

#7 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:37 PM

Could be due to a dodgy bullet connector, which you will find when you remove the grille. Just follow the wire colour guide I quoted above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users